Where to run wires for LEDs?

bobby2552

Respected
I have a '99 Civic DX Sedan, and I need to run 4 sets of 4 22ga. Wire from the inside of the car to the exterior for underglow and stuff. Anyway, I can't find a grommet in the firewall and can't find another place to wire them without them being seen. Thanks!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

EDIT: I also need 2/3 ALWAYS ON fuses to tap off of. If you come across any, let me know what fuse numbers you used/found. Thanks!!

Last edited:

CamdSingleSlam

Hey there! New to the forum but definitely not to Honda, anyways, how are you wanting to use them? do you want to have the ability to turn them off and on? theres a few different ways you can do it, but also what is the voltage required for your underglow?

bobby2552

Respected
Hey there! I bought a bunch (8) of these

Off of eBay. They are 12v, and have their own controllers. I plan on using 4 of these for the underglow (front, back, sides, wheel wells). The plan is to laser cut an enclosure for them to go in an empty din slot under my radio

Anyway, each of the controllers has 4 wire coming out that connect to the LEDs (+12V, R,G,B). Those are the wires I have to run to the outside. I was considering running them out if the drivers door, but I think it will look ugly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bobby2552

Respected
Hey there! New to the forum but definitely not to Honda, anyways, how are you wanting to use them? do you want to have the ability to turn them off and on? theres a few different ways you can do it, but also what is the voltage required for your underglow?
Sorry I'm new to this forum too and don't know how to work it very well yet. Anyway, check above

Sent from my Nexus 6P | 1999 Honda Civic DX Sedan

CamdSingleSlam

if its a 12v, get one of those amp wiring kits it has a cable with an inline fuse you can run directly from battery with no harm, from there you can run a few different routes,
1. under the main fusebox and through the fender
2, through the rubber grommet where the heater core goes in, (if you are coordinated enough to reach behind the glovebox)
3. you can follow the stock wiring harness through the door inside the rubber where the window wiring goes,
4.run it from the battery underneath the car and up from the shifter boot, from there go up through the console
theres plenty more ideas if none of those are to your liking

bobby2552

Respected
if its a 12v, get one of those amp wiring kits it has a cable with an inline fuse you can run directly from battery with no harm, from there you can run a few different routes,
1. under the main fusebox and through the fender
2, through the rubber grommet where the heater core goes in, (if you are coordinated enough to reach behind the glovebox)
3. you can follow the stock wiring harness through the door inside the rubber where the window wiring goes,
4.run it from the battery underneath the car and up from the shifter boot, from there go up through the console
theres plenty more ideas if none of those are to your liking
Hmm. I like the shifter idea. I'll have to look into that. I do have an auto though, so I'm not sure if that would work or not.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's a hole with a plug in it right in front of the shifter, inside the car it's under the carpet behind the cup holders.

bobby2552

Respected
There's a hole with a plug in it right in front of the shifter, inside the car it's under the carpet behind the cup holders.
Does that involve removing the dash and stuff?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not the dash just the lower trim pieces like installing a stereo or you could possibly just pull the carpet back and feel around (it's right on the hump that goes down the center of the car)

bobby2552

Respected
Not the dash just the lower trim pieces like installing a stereo or you could possibly just pull the carpet back and feel around (it's right on the hump that goes down the center of the car)
Awesome. I'll look into doing that tomorrow. Sounds promising.

hold up young man dont go crazy yet!:headbang: im pretty sure you can take the 12v wire out of the cigarette lighter and you can use that for accessories still requires you to dismantle dash like you where putting a new stereo in though

bobby2552

Respected
hold up young man dont go crazy yet!:headbang: im pretty sure you can take the 12v wire out of the cigarette lighter and you can use that for accessories still requires you to dismantle dash like you where putting a new stereo in though
I'm planning on pulling it from a couple different fuses that are empty, however, I'm asking where I can run the four control wires for each LED section. And no worries, I've taken my dash apart so many times I could probably do it with my eyes closed.

bobby2552

Respected
hahah with your eyes close way to go man always good to know your ride like that :mrgreen:
Haha after opening it ~5-6 times to replace the radio, and a few more times for some other mods, it's gotten a lot easier.

lol taking it apart is easy but it seems every time i have to put it back none of those little clips wanna play along haha