Whine from tranny when shifter is near first gear.

Luke.atmego

Was running late so drove it kind of hard today, when I was driving home I was getting on the off ramp, so I pushed the clutch in and shifted it into first from 5th but I was gonna cruise down to a complete stop, I'd rather shift sooner than later...

But when I was shifting into first with my clutch all the way in... my rpm shot up and made a terrible whine sound (2k-3k rpm) so I cruised too a stop in neutral

I can successfully recreate that horrid noise.. it does sound like a bearing or just complete tranny failure lol

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
So you were trying to put in 1st gear before completely stopping? If so you may be grinding your 1st gear, or your synchronizer is going out.
I would personally not do that if that's the case.. I only go into first gear when I am fully stopped or very close to it. You are just wearing out your syncros when you do that, and gaining nothing basically.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm surprised it let you into first gear going that quick. Sounds like a syncrho issue to me as well. Likely time for a transmission rebuild.

I strongly recommend against even attempting first gear unless you're at crawling speeds (< 10mph)

Luke.atmego

Yeah not gonna do that anymore, it actually doesn't let me get into the gear when going highspeed yes. So I can't shift it into gear, but the thing catches and makes a high pitch whirr sound I guess...

I'll just keep it away from 1st I am tired of repairing my dailies :(

I've just never heard it do that before, freaked out tried to diagnose lol not a mechanic but I try

Luke.atmego

For how long have you been driving a manual for?
Had this car since 2011, been driving my Audi for a while. Selling my Audi and going back to my old daily.

I have a correction for the first post I can't pop it into 1st when I'm cruising down from 5th with my clutch in all the way. Something is stopping it which is good! It's still stopping me from going into 1st but it makes that whirr noise too!

I haven't driven it in a while so when I heard it I wanted to know what's wrong... Ever since my subs are out I hear all sorts of things lol

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
That's your synchro letting you know that you can't sync up the speed of 5th gear to your 1st gear...

Otto85

If u push your clutch pedal in, down shift and with the pedal still depressed ur rpms go up then u have a bad clutch but as stated by others dont try to shift into first unless ur going less then 10mph

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk