white smoke from exhaust?

GiffyStyle

well i got a nice understanding kinda searching on the throttle body right now, will be changing gaskets as needed. Only thing i may have a problem with would be the timing lol. But then again I don't have a book (getting one tomorrow) =) should be a lot easier then trying to find answers online :P

will be using a torque wrench =]
Definately get a book. When i fixed my head gasket i bought one and it helped alot. You will get all your torque specs in the book too.

1993civicDX

Definately get a book. When i fixed my head gasket i bought one and it helped alot. You will get all your torque specs in the book too.
thanks, will be getting one here in about 20 min. =] payday woohoo lol

im actually enjoying this. always loved cars but never worked on them since i haven't had tools, money, etc... might be something I wanna go to school for =)

GiffyStyle

thanks, will be getting one here in about 20 min. =] payday woohoo lol

im actually enjoying this. always loved cars but never worked on them since i haven't had tools, money, etc... might be something I wanna go to school for =)
it definately makes you feel closer to the car fixing it yourself. Most important rule, take your time. Do not rush it or you will miss something I promise. You'll be fine

1993civicDX

it definately makes you feel closer to the car fixing it yourself. Most important rule, take your time. Do not rush it or you will miss something I promise. You'll be fine
well, a friend is coming over, he has the same year and engine as i do. only difference is that his is a 4 door. Should be able to get everything done and the new head gasket on in about 2 hours. =) only have timing belt and throttle body left to take off.

I took it all apart and he is showing me how to take the timing off and throttle body then put the new head gasket on. And he is letting me borrow a torque wrench =) Bought my book yesterday so figured it would be easy to put everything back together and re torque it all :P

Thanks for the help everyone! Will post here after I am done and tell you all how it went =)

GiffyStyle

well, a friend is coming over, he has the same year and engine as i do. only difference is that his is a 4 door. Should be able to get everything done and the new head gasket on in about 2 hours. =) only have timing belt and throttle body left to take off.

I took it all apart and he is showing me how to take the timing off and throttle body then put the new head gasket on. And he is letting me borrow a torque wrench =) Bought my book yesterday so figured it would be easy to put everything back together and re torque it all :P

Thanks for the help everyone! Will post here after I am done and tell you all how it went =)
lol it always takes longer than you plan for.

1993hatch

5+ Year Member
I have an extra d16z6 layin around with 80k on it, it's a SOHC VTEC. all you'd have to do is get the d16 head gasket and it'd bolt right on. probably be more reliable than your torched engine

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So did you managed to get that HG replaced? Let me know how long it took you...total time.

1993civicDX

yup =) new HG is on :P. got everything back together no missing bolts or anything, torqued everything down. But for some reason my oil is a little high and oil light is coming on. Figured I just got water in my oil so I am walking to work, will be changing oil next monday =] idle is very nice now =)

kinda died while I took it for a test drive but I believe it is fuel related. had to relieve the pressure maybe it was just building back up?

took 6 hours total. tried to get the bottom timing belt cover off so I could take off the belt. didn't work though. screws were hard to reach so I just set the engine to TDC and slid the belt off. slid back on pretty easily =) would have had it done in about 3 hours if not for the timing belt problem lol.

GiffyStyle

yup =) new HG is on :P. got everything back together no missing bolts or anything, torqued everything down. But for some reason my oil is a little high and oil light is coming on. Figured I just got water in my oil so I am walking to work, will be changing oil next monday =] idle is very nice now =)

kinda died while I took it for a test drive but I believe it is fuel related. had to relieve the pressure maybe it was just building back up?

took 6 hours total. tried to get the bottom timing belt cover off so I could take off the belt. didn't work though. screws were hard to reach so I just set the engine to TDC and slid the belt off. slid back on pretty easily =) would have had it done in about 3 hours if not for the timing belt problem lol.
Yeah thats what i did when i did mine. Told you it would take longer than you thought. lol. It always does.

1993civicDX

Yeah thats what i did when i did mine. Told you it would take longer than you thought. lol. It always does.
is it normal for it t sound a little different? when I started it for the test drive it was kinda louder, not the idle but mechanically.
Figured it was just everything getting oiled again and stuff lol. I guess I'll find out when I change the oil in a few days :P

1993civicDX

well changed the oil, now it's working perfectly!!! Was a great thing to run into =) Now I know a little about my car and pretty sure I can fix most mechanical problems I may have in the future =)

Best part about it was I had such a fun time taking everything apart!!!

The manual I got is amazing also! lol

Thanks everyone! =)=)=)

EDIT: don't die any more like it did with the test drive, must have been the fuel pressure.
Also found out it had the factory oil filter? lol was blue with a honda symbol and was all gross and covered in stuff. But for 200,000 miles the head looked alright =)

Next step is to sand it down this summer & get it painted at makos lol. Saving up to rent a house right now so can't afford to get a good paint job but figured it would be a fun project to sand it and stuff lol. Then some 16" rims & new tires with some nice coil overs. after all that it should be ready for my tax returns to be spent on messing with the engine =) Seems like a good way to get to know how to do a few more things =)

GiffyStyle

well changed the oil, now it's working perfectly!!! Was a great thing to run into =) Now I know a little about my car and pretty sure I can fix most mechanical problems I may have in the future =)

Best part about it was I had such a fun time taking everything apart!!!

The manual I got is amazing also! lol

Thanks everyone! =)=)=)

EDIT: don't die any more like it did with the test drive, must have been the fuel pressure.
Also found out it had the factory oil filter? lol was blue with a honda symbol and was all gross and covered in stuff. But for 200,000 miles the head looked alright =)

Next step is to sand it down this summer & get it painted at makos lol. Saving up to rent a house right now so can't afford to get a good paint job but figured it would be a fun project to sand it and stuff lol. Then some 16" rims & new tires with some nice coil overs. after all that it should be ready for my tax returns to be spent on messing with the engine =) Seems like a good way to get to know how to do a few more things =)
Congrats man, keep us updated!