white smoke from exhaust

AndrewsEG

When i revved my engine today for the hell of it while in neutral i saw white smoke coming from exhaust, i was reading somewhere it can be a coolant leak?
i did notice i had to refill my coolant reservoir fast than normal last moth.

how can i check for leaks? my car doesn't overheat and oil level is good.
please help me.

95 civic sedan d15 engine 5spd 161k miles

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can rent a system from a place like Advanced or Autozone that will check the pressure in your system. You'll notice if something's not right, when you test it.

RonJ

Banned
Replace the head gasket before the engine severely overheats. Otherwise, you'll be shopping for a whole new engine soon.

crankinstein

Replace the head gasket before the engine severely overheats. Otherwise, you'll be shopping for a whole new engine soon.
I have read that a plugged catalytic converter can also cause white smoke, thiugh it likely wont affect the coolant level. Is that true?

Radyjr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pressure test the system first before getting ahead of yourself.

thzpcs

Get a coolant with a UV dye in it to see where the leaks are. But, based on what you've said, white smoke + draining coolant is almost guaranteed to be a bad head gasket

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
I've dealt with that problem on my integra for awhile at one point. Sometimes the headgasket won't be blown but it will leak, You can do tests to find out exactly what it is but from the description i'm pretty sure it'll be a headgasket leak. Change it out before the headgasket blows and overheats than you got to get the head milled most likely. Whenever you change it, Take the head to a local machine shop and get it checked for straighness. Would probably be a good idea to get it resurfaced either way