white smoke/overheating

200STM

Having overheating problems. I am curious how do I know if I have a blown head gasket? is there any signs? also need to find out why my fans aren't turning on. What do i check after the relay? thanks for the help [1992 honda civic lx with the d15b7 i just replace the thermostat,temperature sensor , and water outlet. fans are next]

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most of the time a bad head gasket can be determined by coolant and oil mixing.. either in the radiator or the oil pan.

Have you checked the fan itself? you apply a 12v source across the plug and it will spin or not.

As for the fan switch, you check the relay by shorting the fan switch lead a piece of wire and you'll see the fan turn on to make sure it is not the wiring and to check the fuses. To check the switch itself you would have to bring the car to temp after checking the above.

Other than that you would need to check the thermostat. if the lower hose is flat at op temp that's your issue.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
White smoke is burning coolant. Blue smoke is oil. You need a head gasket bruv

derekdenton14

I have the same problem. I changed thermostat and tempature gauge sensor. I am in the process of replacing my radiator. But could white smoke also be a blow head gasket? Or maybe something else?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the smoke is white = coolant , blueish grey = oil, black =fuel.

Check your oil for coolant and your coolant for oil to possibly diagnose a head gasket leak. your oil will look like a chocolate milkshake and your coolant will either be slightly brown or have droplets of oil floating.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx is 100% burning coolant is almost always head gasket related.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just chiming in for this: I've deleted all posts from those who posted their own problems not related to helping the OP here. Please create your own threads rather than posting in someone elses, as it gets confusing when 4 people are all asking for help in one thread.

Thanks!