window problems

caseyblues22

I have a 2000 civic lx and i have been having problems with my windows for a while now. It seems like they only work when they want to. At times i can roll down all the windows and sometimes i can only roll one of them. The worst problem i have with this is when they get stuck half way down and i have to park it on the street. They only work sporadically!!!! i have never had window problems before on any of my cars so i am puzzled on what the problem is so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanx!!!!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the windows tend to move slowly when they do operate the try cleaning out the run channels. You can temporarily try spray lubricant and if that works then you know the channels are dirty and need a good cleaning. If they dont operate slowly and just suddenly stop in mid function then its possible that there's an issue at the main window switch or the power window relay or a faulty fuse thats partially blown but occasionally makes just enough contact to allow function.

daperez13

Respected
Intermittent issues are the hardest to diagnose. Using a voltmeter, start by checking all your connectors and making sure they have power (before and after the switch) with the ignition in the 'on' position; jiggle the wires around to see if there's changes in voltage. If you know how to and can take the switches apart, you can try cleaning them and then applying a coat of electrical grade silicone or dielectric grease. Re-seat your fuses and make sure they are not loose. Check for any frayed wires as they can cause shorts, especially around hinges or areas that have a lot of movement.