Window smoke

cuetip

Registered VIP
i just bought a 97 civic, and he said the back window was in his house when it caught on fire, and the glass didnt break or anything just has i guess you can call it smoke, which the window is fully black almost like the tint on a limo, but is there anyway to take this stuff off? i have used soap and water, it takes off some of it but not all of it

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Steel wool :what:

cuetip

Registered VIP
there has to be something merry lol, rather then buying one from a junkyard or one from a window shop

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try a Magic Eraser. They work wonders with many issues. You may also wish to try Simple Green. But keep in mind if the heat baked it enough, that black soot may be baked into the glass thus rendering it useless.

cuetip

Registered VIP
hex thats what my grandpa was saying, i have used all kinds of cleaners from acetone, to orange cleaner, to soap and water, even windex. but might have to just toss it and find another one

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
M.E.K. if you can find any. If you aren't aware of what that is, it's used in aviation (probably elsewhere too) and "banned" for use by the military because it's known to cause cancer (in the state of California). If that doesn't take it off, nothing will. It will eat through your gloves in minutes but does wonders on cleaning parts. I've never used it on glass, but I can't imagine it couldn't clean that either.

cuetip

Registered VIP
ok alaska but guys i used 2 coats of Strypeeze then scraped it off with a box knife and it finally came off and it looks like a brand new window lol

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok alaska but guys i used 2 coats of Strypeeze then scraped it off with a box knife and it finally came off and it looks like a brand new window lol
Congrats buddy. you lucked out.

cuetip

Registered VIP
oh yeah i did, from what the guy said was there were 2 rear windows, that were against each other and one cracked and yet the other one just had the smoke damage but took all day to figure out how to get this damn smoke off