Status
Not open for further replies.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I currently have 20% tints on the sides, 5% on the rear, and 70% UV tint on the windshield of my '97 Civic. My visibility at night is more impaired now, living in a dark city in Kentucky (compared to previous Miami, FL brightness). I've really enjoyed the added UV protection from my windshield tint, both from heat reduction and less strain on my light sensitive eyes, so I'm going with UV protection all around by replacing the rear and side tints. I'll likely choose the Black Box brand over 3M (if I do it myself) due to cost and that reviews seem to state its a solid comparable quality. However, I cant definitively decide on either 35% or 50%. Please share your opinions and pictures if possible.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Personally, I would go with 35%. My friend had 50% on his Legacy GT, and it wasn't very noticeable both inside and out. If that's fine by you, I say go for it, as you want the benefits of UV and would still like to see. But I am a fan of dark tint (not stupid dark), as it just gives the car a cleaner look IMO. Especially a black car. ;)

I will see if I can find a picture of the 50% my buddy had. The car is long gone now, but I'm sure there's pics floating around somewhere.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, xplod3r. I havent seen enough pictures of 50% & 35% on black civics, nor have i been in many cars with 50%.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Might I add, I like dark tints in the daytime but Louisville is so poorly lit in many areas that dark tints are just not worth visibility issues. Im also glad I no longer have to deal with constant HIDs blinding me due to poor aligments. In the end, this is a fuel efficient comfortable daily driver so Im sticking to that theme. Function with a taste of style is the goal.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have no experience with 50% but I have 35 all the way around on my daily. No issues whatsoever. I also live in a rural area with poorly lit/unlit roads.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
50% would be almost no "tint" at all. That light and you are just going for UV protection at that point. I would bet a guess and say that the very thinly tinted factory windows are at 50%.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im wonderi g when people down in miami started calling tint "tints"

Its been a singular word for decades.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im wonderi g when people down in miami started calling tint "tints"

Its been a singular word for decades.
You're confusing the action of having a tint with the objects of tints referring to the tinted films on multiple glass surfaces. You either have tinted glass or tints on your windows. Singular point of reference vs. Plural objects.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Must be a Miami thing.. cuz everywhere else tint means tint no matter what or how many.. usually the Item being tinted is the plural word.

....I need my window(s) tinted or tinting
or
My 4 door needs window tint or tinting

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Must be a Miami thing.. cuz everywhere else tint means tint no matter what or how many.. usually the Item being tinted is the plural word.

....I need my window(s) tinted
or
My 4 door needs window tint..
It seems to be a matter of semantics and word usage. Your correct in needing tint. However, multiple tinted filmS (plural) are needed to accomplish the tinted look (singular).

LOL. This exchange has been fun. Good comeback pic, Esotericimage. Lets stay on topic though. Shall we? The percentage of tint for my tints.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is KY's laws on tint?

http://www.tinting-laws.com/kentucky/

Should base it off that first and foremost. Now if it is a specific visual condition, you may have to get a note from your ophthalmologist to give to your secretary of state for a medical wavier. At least that is what I was personally told by a cop in 2008, in IL, when I was ticketed for the second time due to my 20% tint on driver's and front passenger windows on my coupe. It was the only way I could fight my tickets. Just something to consider...

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is KY's laws on tint?
  • Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
  • Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
  • Back Side windows: Must allow more than 18% of light in.
  • Rear Window: Must allow more than 18% of light in.
I see an insane amount of cars with tint far darker than 35% in Louisville so I doubt its enforced much.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does anyone else have input?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm reviving this thread because I intend on getting my car tinted within the next week or so. I found a great deal via Groupon with an additional 25% off, totaling $55.50. I spoke to the shop & for an extra $40 I can upgrade to ceramic tint.

FYI, I'm now back in Florida but in the Space Coast area. Blinding HID headlights may no longer be as big a concern, but after living in KY for 2 years I want to make sure my tint percentage will be universally beneficial no matter where I am.

Im still torn between 35% or 50%. I think 50% will do fine and wont look as light when contrasted against the black paint but I fear it may look lighter than I want. I may just go in to the place & force myself to pick on the spot with both films in front of me. Below is a good reference picture I found.
Tint_Simulation.jpg

dancam

Registered VIP
Do you want it for looks, to keep people from seeing in your car or to actually keep light and heat out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you want it for looks, to keep people from seeing in your car or to actually keep light and heat out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I mentioned in the first thread, I mainly want UV protection but with some style. If it was all about function only then I'd go with 70% all around.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
on my old mustang i had 20% fronts and 5% on rest and at night its really dark. at first i used to had to roll the window down when i'm reversing into my driveway. but in the summer time it was much bearable to get in the car since i have black interior.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on my old mustang i had 20% fronts and 5% on rest and at night its really dark. at first i used to had to roll the window down when i'm reversing into my driveway. but in the summer time it was much bearable to get in the car since i have black interior.
I understand, but again I've gone through all that so right now I'm deciding solely between 35% and 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.