Not open for further replies.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would go with 35% still makes it less hot in the summer
Ive done enough research to conclude that the color doesnt do as much in regards to heat deterrence when its a quality film with UV protection. One of my reasons behind me selection process is that my eyes are very sensitive to bright light, not to mention that UV rays wreak havoc on interior as well as your skin. I have noticed a great relief just from the higher quality UV protective film on my windshield. My 70% windshield tint blocks out more heat than my previous 20% (cheap) tint.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had difficulty finding black Civic coupe pictures with noted tint percentages, yet surprisingly I've found many of BMWs. I've noticed a huge difference in the dark appearance of tint depending on the body color it contrasts with. Of course, the tint brand make a difference as well. Keep in mind I've been researching this on and off for about a year.
Here's a old black BMW with 50% all around. I think it looks beautiful...

Here's an early '90's black M3 with 35% all around...

For reference, here's a newer white M with a reported 50% all-around. It looks darker than the 35% & 50% above...

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
could be angle of the picture and different shading of light but the top 2 looks about it you can still tell the 35 is just abit darker then 50 on the e30

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could be angle of the picture and different shading of light but the top 2 looks about it you can still tell the 35 is just abit darker then 50 on the e30
Possibly, but it still doesnt help make my decision any easier. What a pain. I made the appointment for tomorrow so Ill decide there. Otherwise, I may take too long to make a choice.

darmich0712

Going up from 20% and 5% that you have now to even 35% will make a major difference in visibility. As a window tinter by trade I can assure you that I think you would be happier with a 35% ceramic. Most tint companies actually make a 40% tint as well. So if that's a possibility I would go that route. I use huper optik here at the shop I work at and we carry 30,40,50, etc. Do you know what brand of film the company uses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Well since your going solely for looks its entirely up to you, we cant decide what you think looks better. But if your trying to impress someone else with it get their opinion. Do you want it to look better when its super bright and sunny or when its a cloudy/rainy day or the sun is starting to go down. Each tint will look very different in either of those situations. I have 16% on my car which is exactly what i want when its a not too sunny day, too dark at night and not dark enough when its super bright out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going up from 20% and 5% that you have now to even 35% will make a major difference in visibility. As a window tinter by trade I can assure you that I think you would be happier with a 35% ceramic. Most tint companies actually make a 40% tint as well. So if that's a possibility I would go that route. I use huper optik here at the shop I work at and we carry 30,40,50, etc. Do you know what brand of film the company uses?
They use Scorpion brand film. They confirmed it comes in 35% or 50%. Otherwise, I'd likely go 40%. That range of 15% between the two can make suchba difference.

I forgot to mention earlier that I removed all the side & rear films to get a better feel of how much light I want inside when the windows are rolled up.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You must be doing some serious research on Window tint because this thread is nearly a year old and you still haven't gotten it?! :lol:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You must be doing some serious research on Window tint because this thread is nearly a year old and you still haven't gotten it?! :lol:
:lol: Heavy emphasis on the "off" in "on & off research". I've had plenty of financial deterrents that havent helped either.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm reviving this thread because I intend on getting my car tinted within the next week or so. I found a great deal via Groupon with an additional 25% off, totaling $55.50. I spoke to the shop & for an extra $40 I can upgrade to ceramic tint.

FYI, I'm now back in Florida but in the Space Coast area. Blinding HID headlights may no longer be as big a concern, but after living in KY for 2 years I want to make sure my tint percentage will be universally beneficial no matter where I am.

Im still torn between 35% or 50%. I think 50% will do fine and wont look as light when contrasted against the black paint but I fear it may look lighter than I want. I may just go in to the place & force myself to pick on the spot with both films in front of me. Below is a good reference picture I found.
View attachment 27224
That's photoshopped and not very good for a reference. I had 50% on my front windows on my hx and it was barely noticable, it looked much like that 70% BMW photo edit, that 50% looks much more like 35%. I will see if I can find any pictures of my hx tint

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Interior makes it look darker but if you compare to front windshield it looks barely noticeable

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Buddy of mine had 50, another buddy of mine had 5. I've personally had 35, 20, 15..

5 sucks at night and can be a cop magnet
15 sucks backing up at night and can be a cop magnet
20 is where I like it... and can be a cop magnet
35 isn't bad, slightly too light for my taste... and is still illegal here in NYS but I've never heard of anyone being stopped for it
50 isn't even an option. :lol:

Though I base mine solely on looks. I've noticed huge improvements going from 0 tint to 30 though... so much cooler in the summer, which is a huge plus with leather seats haha

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tint is awesome for that and I'm sure even installing a 70% or clear uv tint on front windshield helps tons to, I've wanted to tint my windshield but never have. I'm sure the color depends on the glass also, most glass has a greenish color to it, some manufacturers also produce glass with a minor tint already so that can make them darker, my 87 300zx windows had a bronze like color to the glass and it wasn't a film that was applied

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's photoshopped and not very good for a reference. I had 50% on my front windows on my hx and it was barely noticable, it looked much like that 70% BMW photo edit, that 50% looks much more like 35%. I will see if I can find any pictures of my hx tint
I know it wasnt an accurate photoshopped picture, but it helped to some degree. Your photo was appreciated as well.

I ended up getting them done today and went with 35% on the sides and 20% on the rear, all ceramic. The other day I had an SUV behind me with HIDs and that thought alone made me go for 20% in the back instead of the 35%. It all looks darker now due to the moist adhesive but Im sure it'll lighten up a little once cured. I'll post a picture after a few days.

The installer mentioned that apparently Discovery channel agreed to make a show with them because they also do car wraps & commercial work, so that's interesting. I forgot the name of the show but if its true, that'll be a while before it hits TV. The owner was on Pimp my Ride then King of Cars at some point.

anv2tk

Respected
I think the 50% will achieve your goal nicely. Its a good balance between style and functionality. This thread has been helpful enough to where I didn't have to ask any questions in order to answer my own. That being said, those are my :twocents:

Post some pics when you're all done :lol:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tint is awesome for that and I'm sure even installing a 70% or clear uv tint on front windshield helps tons to, I've wanted to tint my windshield but never have. I'm sure the color depends on the glass also, most glass has a greenish color to it, some manufacturers also produce glass with a minor tint already so that can make them darker, my 87 300zx windows had a bronze like color to the glass and it wasn't a film that was applied
Like I said earlier, the 70% tint on the windshield definitely makes a difference with heat reduction but is so light that no one notices its there. Even when I removed all the old tint, it wasnt easily noticeable beside the untinted glass. These Hondas dont have a visible hue in the glass, although I know they have the standard slight green yet not noticeable hue.

I think the 50% will achieve your goal nicely. Its a good balance between style and functionality. This thread has been helpful enough to where I didn't have to ask any questions in order to answer my own. That being said, those are my :twocents:

Post some pics when you're all done :lol:
I'll likely post at least one pic by tomorrow after I clean the car. I'm glad this thread's already being helpful for others.

Even with how light 50% looks, I almost chose it but I took the chance on 35% knowing itll look slightly lighter once it cures. I plan on eventually reupholstering all my seats in light grey matching the pilar panels, which will reflect more light and should give a lighter tint appearance.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It cleared up long enough today for me to snap a few pics after a good wipe down. This is Scorpion Ceramic 35% tint on the sides with SolarFX Ceramic 20% tint on the rear (he ran out of Scorpion 20%). It all has lifetime warranty so I'm fine with that. Honestly, I'm very satisfied with how it looks from inside but I may have preferred how 50% would've looked from the outside. Then again, ceramic tint is more reflective so the glare from the outside makes it look darker than it really is. I believe it'll likely lighten up a slight bit after a few weeks, as most tint films do. Either way, the heat reduction has improved greatly and the visibility day or night is much better than before (20% & 5%). I'm very satisfied and definitely got my moneys worth. The tint installer did a great job. :mrgreen:

Here's the same angle with sun glare from how reflective the ceramic tint is.

Here's a close up. Ceramic tint is very reflective so it wasn't easy to snap a shot of the film clarity.

Here's a glary shot.

Here's an exterior view of the rear 20% SolarFX ceramic tint.

You get the idea at this point...

Here's the interior view: 70% windshield, 35% side glass...

...and an interior view of the 35% side glass and 20% rear glass. (ignore the sagging vinyl headliner)

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After giving it 5 days, the tint is fully cured and I'm very happy with the final outcome.
20160210_095019-1.jpg
IMG_20160210_101812.jpg

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I like it! Came out great IMO