Window Tinting

jpatter4

5+ Year Member
I want to tint the windows of my honda civic. Mainly for the comfort from the sun in the summer. I don't want to make the windows so dark you can't seem through them. I want them to look slick and classic. Darker than the dealership but not so dark where you can't see through them I guess. Any suggestions on brands and doing it yourself. I'm assuming it isn't too hard. I just hate seeing cars who have bought what looks to be like cheap window tinting and there are all these air bubbles in it.

So, what brands are good, level of tinting, and hints on how to make it look pro!

TAZ_FERIO

7th Gen Civic
5+ Year Member
I would go to your local honda dealership and ask where they get their work done. Thats what I did and it looked really good, I ended up doing 20% its dark enough to where people cant see in but you can see out. It took some getting use to but I wouldn't get any lighter then that.

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hint...let a professional do tint...it is not something you want to mess up...Lumar is supposedly one of the best brands...

hondagriff

Banned
If you are going to do it yourself and wanna get the darkest tint you can have by law. Don't forget to take in the fact that most windows already have a tint. It might not be noticable but its there. So if the state law says you can't go pass 15 you might asume to buy 15 tint. It might run 17 or 18 after you put it on cause the window adds another 1 to 3. Just a fair warning If your worried about getting pulled over.

awenthol

5+ Year Member
You CAN do it yourself BUT if you've never done it, I almost guarentee it's going to look like sh-t. Have it professionally done and forget about it.

hondagriff

Banned
If you are going to do it yourself and wanna get the darkest tint you can have by law. Don't forget to take in the fact that most windows already have a tint. It might not be noticable but its there. So if the state law says you can't go pass 15 you might asume to buy 15 tint. It might run 17 or 18 after you put it on cause the window adds another 1 to 3. Just a fair warning If your worried about getting pulled over.
s**t....I forgot the number goes backwards.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if you get it done professionally see if they will not make the cutout for the light in the rear window
it looks goofy and i hate it
i didnt know they would do that

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I took out the rear deck, seats,sidepanels, ect. They do a better job that way. I don't know west coast prices, but in the NE its $99 for sides and rear.
Get the top of the front done too, for the extra $15-20 its great.

awenthol

5+ Year Member
I took out the rear deck, seats,sidepanels, ect. They do a better job that way.
I did that too, just to be sure they would cover the entire rear. Come to find out, they would have removed it anyway, so they gave me a discount!

For the windshield I DIDN'T remove the pillars and recently noticed they dug into them with the razor blade :evil:...nothing I can do about it now, though :roll:

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i dont think anyone removed anything for mine
they did a shitty job and i will never go back there again

Dulce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s**t....I forgot the number goes backwards.
lol, I was just about to say something about that too until I read this post

i dont think anyone removed anything for mine
they did a shitty job and i will never go back there again
Yea, I went to Ziebart, they did an awesome job, but got my car dirty as hell on the inside, but they took everything out and didn't make a cut out of the third brake light. the only thing they didn't do that I asked them to was but a small tinted strip on my front window to help block the sun, but oh well.