Winnning Autocrosses with 6th Gen

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey all, last weeked I ran at a BMW autocross and came in 1st place for non-BMW cars.

Check out the link:
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=15,238,0,0,1,0

I beat an RX-8 by like .3 seconds. I trophied in my Civic now the last 3/4 autocrosses but this is my first 1st place finish.

My car is:
1997 Honda Civic EX (d16y8)

Falken Azinis tires (215,45,ZR16)
Tokico blues shocks/springs
Suspension Techniques front/rear sways
Skunk2 Front Camber kit/Engals Rear Camber kit
AEM V2 CAI
AEM under drive pulley kit
custom 4-2-1 header
custom Catback Exhaust
CG Lock seat belt lock

I think I found some kind of Zen state for autocrossing the Civic. With the suspension mods and tires I have insane cornering but since I'm low on power its easy not to make mistakes.

Here are some pics, not of that event but just some random autocrossing:
http://www.djii.com/autox/DSC00198.JPG
http://www.djii.com/autox/DSC00197.JPG
http://www.djii.com/autox/MOV00187.MPG

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awesome job bro...cool vid

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
congrats..i still need to go to my first autox..they had one about 1 mile from my house. i didnt get the chance to get in because my tire thread is low and i still need to upgrade my brake system. lucky there is still 6 more rounds at the same location in the next couple of months..hopely i can get into one.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Awesome.. Did you just set up cones in an empty parking lot? If so.. do the cops care at all? I'd like to get into autocross but we don't have a track..

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The SCCA or another club rents the lot, buys insurance, etc. Its all legal. The movie was from a time a few friends and I paid an SCCA autocross national champion to spend a day and each us some techniques. He took care of renting the lot n stuff.

I've heard 1 story about cops breaking up an autocross but usually they just come to watch and ask how they can get involved. Police get the same training at the academy.

If you have the money and know of a large lot that sits empty on the weekend, you can have an autocross. You will need:

Lot rental fee with insurance: $800 to $2000+
Cones: about $3 to $5 each, you'll need about 100 of them to make small courses
Electronic timing gear: $500 - $1000
An SCCA Solo2 rulebook: $20

Usually places charge about $25 for 4 runs and have 4 heats, 35 cars per heat. Thats about $3500 per autocross you can make. AutoX is really big where I live so there are 1 to 2 events every weekend.

What I like about it is that I can really put my mods to the test and feel the difference, especially with suspension mods. I want to feel what my mods were designed to do not just pimp around town or go fast on the highway.

joe7987 said:
Awesome.. Did you just set up cones in an empty parking lot? If so.. do the cops care at all? I'd like to get into autocross but we don't have a track..

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SQL2112 said:
The SCCA or another club rents the lot, buys insurance, etc. Its all legal. The movie was from a time a few friends and I paid an SCCA autocross national champion to spend a day and each us some techniques. He took care of renting the lot n stuff.

I've heard 1 story about cops breaking up an autocross but usually they just come to watch and ask how they can get involved. Police get the same training at the academy.

If you have the money and know of a large lot that sits empty on the weekend, you can have an autocross. You will need:

Lot rental fee with insurance: $800 to $2000+
Cones: about $3 to $5 each, you'll need about 100 of them to make small courses
Electronic timing gear: $500 - $1000
An SCCA Solo2 rulebook: $20

Usually places charge about $25 for 4 runs and have 4 heats, 35 cars per heat. Thats about $3500 per autocross you can make. AutoX is really big where I live so there are 1 to 2 events every weekend.

What I like about it is that I can really put my mods to the test and feel the difference, especially with suspension mods. I want to feel what my mods were designed to do not just pimp around town or go fast on the highway.
wow, seems to me like things get a bit expensive with autocross.. but looks fun nevertheless..

sccardslax05

vida guerra lookin fine!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did u win anything for winning the race for non-bmw class or is it all just for fun?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
wow, seems to me like things get a bit expensive with autocross.. but looks fun nevertheless..
LOL..he didnt start his own autox..he was jus explaining how the whole thing was setup.. check www.scca.com and check your local region.. prices to run in the scca autocross ranges from $20-40..different region may charge different prices.. prices to join for SCCA members are cheaper. and also a helmet with a snell of 90+..you can also rent one there..some regions may differ.. its more fun then drag..plus you dont need a built car..you can have stock or light mod car..its mostly in the driving when you autox..

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In small local events like that one you don't win anything, its all for fun. If you become good enough and get sponsored, then you win things from your sponsor when you win 1st place in an offical SCCA event.

sccardslax05 said:
did u win anything for winning the race for non-bmw class or is it all just for fun?

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
No, thats to set one up yourself. If you don't have any autocross where you live its possible that a few people with a small investment could start an autocross club and if was advertised well and run well, you could stand to make some decent cash.

To run in an autocross its usually $20 to $40 for 4 to 6 runs. Then of course, when its all over, the organizers usually let people take fun runs. So, for like $20, you could have a whole afternoon of legal fast driving.