worth it add more hp to 98 civic lx w/ stock engine?

kenji51590

my 98 civic lx just recently got a new intake which was custom made from my friend using a spectre $25 filter and tubing from a local shop.
This costed me around $80 in total and the exhaust I already ordered is a Yonaka catback which costed me around $285 plus another im guessing 80-100 for installation.
I was thinking of getting a cheap header from ebay or buying a Megan header which would cost around $150 shipped.
I've also got some NGK plugs and wires to replace my very worn ones which did improve my acceleration a bit. These costed me around $60

So all in all I've spent 60+80+285+ (80-100 installation for exhaust) = $605~625

I'm also pretty aware that this would get my 98 civic lx car minimal hp since the stock engine holds only 106 or 108 hp (sadface) ..but if I could get it up to 130-40 ish I would be happy (happyface) .. but not sure if what i've added to my car will get me a 30 hp increase including a header I will geti n the future.... maybe realistically I can see 20-25 gains? Not exactly sure so if anyone has any opinions on this I would love to hear them.

If it comes down to me not buying a header I will just make the car look nice inside out so atleast I will be enjoying my ride as I get good gas mileage (happyface).

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think with the mods you have made you might see around 10-15 hp. that cat back should be a OE replacement in most cases and that you can put on with just a jack and some hand tools. if you want to gain some more power you could try replacing internals of the motor or if you want to make it feel fast... weight reduction

kenji51590

I think with the mods you have made you might see around 10-15 hp. that cat back should be a OE replacement in most cases and that you can put on with just a jack and some hand tools. if you want to gain some more power you could try replacing internals of the motor or if you want to make it feel fast... weight reduction
oh I see thanks for the feedback, for the internals I'm not exactly sure what smaller things I should replace that aren't too costly. I know if I did an engine swap I would see instant gains but that's too much money for me to do right now. Do you have any recommendations as for internal parts to replace that cost less than $500?

Well so far in my internals, I've replaced the radiator, timing belt, water pump at a local shop.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have heard that doing high compression pistons and stuff works good for getting more HP I have never done it nor know how but from what I hear its good

Alex_fl05

Hmm you're buying some expensive parts. Do the installation of the exhaust yourself. Get underneath the car and look at what holds it there. It should be a couple rubber bushings that keep it onto the car. And some bolts that connect the exhaust pieces together. Save that money =)

Also, you can do a minime swap. Just put in a vtec head. Like D16Y8 head. Search the forums for this minime swap. You should get ALOTA HP and Acceleration added!! xD
Plus you can get a lightened flywheel which adds acceleration. Perhaps lightened pulleys?
And a Racing clutch may help you go into gears w.o burning out the clutch.

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
sir im sorry but you should save your mony for a swap

B,K,J series

if you wana keep the D and want to go fast turbo!