Y7 or Y8 Injectors

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
I've got a '96 Civic DX hatchback. It was originally an automatic Y7, but when I bought it it came with a Y8 trans, head, intake manifold, and ECU. I got everything on, did the rewire, and bought a manual Y8 TB so that it was a legitimate D16Y8. The ONLY thing left are the Y7 injectors. Do I need to have the Y8 injectors in there? Would it be noticeable? I don't have any gauges or anything so I'm not sure if I'm running lean or anything. If I get on it there is some white smoke behind me, but not when I just drive. It obviously smells a little bit, but I'm also running a 4-2-1 header and full stainless catback (no cat in the header / exhaust).

Are my injectors causing any of this smoke? Would it be worth it to upgrade to Y8s? I know that the difference is like 190 -> 230 or something.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dx 180 cc
ex 240 cc

the injectors wont cause white smoke..white smoke is from coolant/oil

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if im reading this correctly, you made a y8 so i would run y8 injectors. I know that if you run y8 injectors on a y7 you will run rich, so flipping it. you will probably run lean

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your running a y8 ecu you should be using y8 injectors
same for y7.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup, i f**ked up. forgot the OP said he had the ecu also lol

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i didnt see ecu. then i was correct. your running lean

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
Alright. Well when I did all the re-wiring and tossed the ECU in, I flushed all the coolant and did an oil change (~2500 miles ago) so I need to change the oil, but the coolant is fine. What is the issue then? I may as well hunt for the right injectors anyway.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
White smoke means the coolant and oil are somehow coming together.could be worn pistons or a bad head gasket. Is the white smoke thick? Usually downshifting will give a poof of white smoke but it won't appear for long

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would say get those injectors in their first. who knows it may stop smoking a bit. the fact that your running lean could have something to do with it

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i agree. get the injectors. running lean could also lead to even worse things, a lot worse

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
Coolio. I just got paid as well, so I'll look for some injectors.

I'd hate to swap a head gasket simply because the Y8 head was tossed on just before I got the car...which likely means he re-used the stock gasket AND headbolts...AKA I'd be buying new bolts too, etc... Haha s**t I don't wanna buy, though I know I need to.

Other than this, the car runs fine. Smoke isn't very thick....just clearly white.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maybe your muffler? mine runs fine but give off white sometimes. give the injectors a try. you shoudl get them no matter what

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
I've got no cat, no resonator or anything. Just full stainless headerback with a flat black Vibrant Street Power muffler...

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that could have something to do with it lol

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
I mean I knew some of it had to be because it was all straight piping to a single muffler, but I've never had a catless car before, so I wasn't sure how much would actually be visible or whatever. My oil level is fine still, as well as my coolant, so I'm not sure exactly what it is...

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
probably the fact of no cat and i would still recommend injectors. see what happens after them. it could be like a lot of subarus and evos i see with a straight exhaust. they blow smoke, you can even see it on the bumper

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
Yeah. Luckily mine doesn't get all over the bumper. I "raced" a riced out Del Slow on the way home and ALL he did was blow smoke...even casually driving. Lol so it made me feel better.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Technically you could use obd2 integra injectors, ls,rs,gsr,itr,em1. All the same size and style as the y8.

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
Good to know, thanks a million. I should probably start the hunt for some. Idk where to even start as far as pricing for injectors.