1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

Y8 head on d16z6

Discussion in '5th Generation Honda Civic (1992-1995)' started by Sleeper1087, Jul 5, 2013.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleeper1087

Sleeper1087 New Member

Hey everyone so i have 94 civic with a d16z6 trying to do the mini me swap and change head to the Y8 head. Do anyone know a good place i could go to get one or order one? Also if im prepping for boost what should be next thing i do?

2. slowDB7

slowDB7 New Member

ebay, craigslist, pick a parts yard, the parts for sale area here on CC

also you are not doing a mini me swap (mini me= vtec head on non vtec block) you have a d16z6 which is vtec already, why would you want to swap heads

MechanicJames likes this.
  3. stcopley

stcopley Trollin in the Deep Registered VIP

I would personally prefer a z6 head, and that's not a mini me swap. Listen to the guy above me lol.

4. sleeper si

sleeper si New Member Registered VIP

5. HeX

HeX Authoritah, respected. Staff Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Not only is this not pertaining to a 9th gen. Civic but you're not showing anything off either. Please read the section descriptions before posting and select accordingly if you wish to maximize helpful exposure. I also tweaked your title to be more pertinent to your question.

With all thst said, if you want to swap a head yet dont know something as relatively simplevas where to find used engine parts then I strongly suggest to do plenty of research before purchasing or swapping anything. Our search function is a great start.

6. oddeb707

oddeb707 R.I.P Stephen Jackson Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

The gains from a y8 head on a z6 if there are any would be negligible. From what I remember, the y8 IM flows differently than the z6 making better power on the lower end and sacrificing top end...that is if IIRC, it's been a while. I might have it reversed. Also, I believe you're supposed to use the hardware from the corresponding head i.e. bolts/gasket. That being said, unless you already have all the parts, you'd just be wasting your time and money for gains that may or may not be there.

If you're dealing with a shot z6 head then maybe getting a y8 head to replace would be an easier find but if not then I would stick with the z6, it's a good little motor.

7. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

XpL0d3r likes this.
  8. RED95EGEX23

RED95EGEX23 New Member

The Z6 is a good 1.6 motor to modify if you have the funds. I'm not sure how much the block and heads can withstand with internal modifications, i.e. higher powered compressions and greater torque output, but as a lightweight factory spec'd NA engine you can go far with your bolt on setup.

9. XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r What Civic? Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

This was from 2013 homie. I'm lockin dis bish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.