Status
Not open for further replies.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think many of us know that this has been around awhile, but people still dont read it. which is why these annoying post come up

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If anyone has doubts, get their car aligned, buy a tread depth gauge(their like a buck..) and measure regularly and regularly rotate your tires. You'll see in time that your tires will be fine..

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think many of us know that this has been around awhile, but people still dont read it. which is why these annoying post come up
I think people are confuse. obviously you would think that if you lower the car and put on some rims the orientation and angles of the camber will change. So our first reaction is we do need camber kits. However, this author says we dont need camber kits on mostly all cars. However, if you have a 96-00 civic, you DO need some sort of rear camber kit cuz of its steep camber curve.

Conclusion, if you have a 96-00 civic you DO NEED rear camber kits. (according to this author). Title is deceiving at first, until you read it.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think people are confuse. obviously you would think that if you lower the car and put on some rims the orientation and angles of the camber will change. So our first reaction is we do need camber kits. However, this author says we dont need camber kits on mostly all cars. However, if you have a 96-00 civic, you DO need some sort of rear camber kit cuz of its steep camber curve.

Conclusion, if you have a 96-00 civic you DO NEED rear camber kits. (according to this author). Title is deceiving at first, until you read it.
I think you're confused... The author does not recommend camber kits for 96-00 civic's. He says they could benefit from one. He said he recommends a particular type if 96-00 owners do get one.

I bolded, underlined, and highlighted in red the keyword in the paragraph below of which you are talking about:

One exception: A few relatively newer Honda models, such as the 96-00 Civic, the rear suspension has a pretty steep camber curve, and could benefit from slightly reducing the negative camber in the rear from what you get from a drop alone. I would recommend the replacement rear upper arm-type camber kits. Those use a turnbuckle-type adjustment that will not slip.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you're confused... The author does not recommend camber kits for 96-00 civic's. He says they could benefit from one. He said he recommends a particular type if 96-00 owners do get one.

I bolded, underlined, and highlighted in red the keyword in the paragraph below of which you are talking about:
It It DOES need camber adjustment with certain drops and rims, I have pictures to prove it too! Before and After. I bought 17" rims with low profile tires, dropped my civic to the lowest possible position. All tires were NEW 100% thread. within months the rear had inner baldness. I freaked out and made a thread in July thinking I needed a camber kit:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=192326&highlight=evilrilla2+camber

I stumbled into the link that you also found. I did a DIY from a link that LowNSlow97 gave me. I placed about 5 washers if i remember correctly. Then I moved the rear tires to the front, the front tires were not bald. Up to date, 7 months later, my rear tires are not inner balded.

Hence, if I were to leave them as is, because it was RECOMEMENDED i didnt need it, my tires would have had wires sticking out from the inside, thus resulting into a tire pop.

For me, having 17" rims, this is correct:

One exception: A few relatively newer Honda models, such as the 96-00 Civic, the rear suspension has a pretty steep camber curve, and WOULD DEFINITELY benefit from slightly reducing the negative camber in the rear from what you get from a drop alone. I would recommend the replacement rear upper arm-type camber kits. Those use a turnbuckle-type adjustment that will not slip.

All this is based on REAL life experience and If you want me to post the pictures to prove it, I will.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
evilrilla2 said:
WRONG! It DOES need camber adjustment with certain drops and rims, I have pictures to prove it too! Before and After. I bought 17" rims with low profile tires, dropped my civic to the lowest possible position. All tires were NEW 100% thread. within months the rear had inner baldness. I freaked out and made a thread in July thinking I needed a camber kit:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=192326&highlight=evilrilla2+camber

I stumbled into the link that you also found. I did a DIY from a link that LowNSlow97 gave me. I placed about 5 washers if i remember correctly. Then I moved the rear tires to the front, the front tires were not bald. Up to date, 7 months later, my rear tires are not inner balded.

Hence, if I were to leave them as is, because it was RECOMEMENDED i didnt need it, my tires would have had wires sticking out from the inside, thus resulting into a tire pop.

For me, having 17" rims, this is correct:

One exception: A few relatively newer Honda models, such as the 96-00 Civic, the rear suspension has a pretty steep camber curve, and WOULD DEFINITELY benefit from slightly reducing the negative camber in the rear from what you get from a drop alone. I would recommend the replacement rear upper arm-type camber kits. Those use a turnbuckle-type adjustment that will not slip.

All this is based on REAL life experience and If you want me to post the pictures to prove it, I will.
Did you get an alignment at all? Or did you just do the washer trick right away. I have 205/45/16 summer tires on 16x7 wheels and there is hardly any camber wear in the rear, only feathering (which from what I understand is toe being out of wack). My front tires have camber wear. I'm lowered roughly 2-2.5".

I got an alignment about 1.5 years ago. I wasn't aware that you "should" get an alignment once a year at the very least. Being that my car is 12 years old, I now understand that worn suspension components (bushings) can't hold alignment settings very well.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you get an alignment at all? Or did you just do the washer trick right away. I have 205/45/16 summer tires on 16x7 wheels and there is hardly any camber wear in the rear, only feathering (which from what I understand is toe being out of wack). My front tires have camber wear. I'm lowered roughly 2-2.5".

I got an alignment about 1.5 years ago. I wasn't aware that you "should" get an alignment once a year at the very least. Being that my car is 12 years old, I now understand that worn suspension components (bushings) can't hold alignment settings very well.
I got an alignment before I got my rims, but those settings were for the stock tires. When I got my rims I just slapped them on, the car was driving straight but the camber was off. I did the DIY to save cash, but an alignment would of help in decreasing the balding. In the end of the article the author touches on low profile tires balding due to negative camber, which is the case in mine. So thats why I adjusted the camber, it was a necessity. Its difficult to see if your car will need a camber adjustment, so we cant assume it does need a camber kit (96-00 models only). we just have to keep an eye on the tire wear and quickly react to it before its too late. The author is very correct and he does know his stuff, credible and valuable information there.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Evilrilla---i suggested the link and aligned as well. i tried the washers first. yea it was better, but not great. got my alignment and everything is a-ok.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Camber is not a wear factor, getting a camber kit will NOT benefit you in terms of tire wear(unless you have f**ked up toe in which case they will go back either way).

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Camber is not a wear factor, getting a camber kit will NOT benefit you in terms of tire wear(unless you have f**ked up toe in which case they will go back either way).
Camber still wears out tires. Toe just wears tires out exponentially faster. People just don't realize that when they get camber kits and an alignment, the shop is correcting toe as well, which is what's really saving their tires.

ej_swag

Häagen-Dazs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It still sucks balls for me. In my town no one will align your vehicle if your lowered unless you have a camber kit. No joke. Not a single place here.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It still sucks balls for me. In my town no one will align your vehicle if your lowered unless you have a camber kit. No joke. Not a single place here.
That is absolutely retarded, and sounds like a gimmick the shop owners are pushing to make more money.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You can align the toe yourself using the string trick. I know there's a thread DIY on here somewhere...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Still waiting for a mod to sticky this.

jerseyhonda

Shops here in texas as well refused to do it without an Camber kit. Good way to make money, eh? Im ridding 215/35/18 tires and i bought brand new tires about a year ago. My back tires, MINT condition, front tires... not so much, warn down to slicks with the wiring on inside. So i figured i needed a camber kit, but i guess i was wrong, just an alignment.. Now to find a tuner shop in town that wont charge me 1-2398120 just for one

deevibez17

1999 Civic Hx
5+ Year Member
I had bad alignment i mean so bad that my tires eventually deflated. This 1 shop told me i needed $900 worth of parts to fix it, but luckily i found another shop, kauffman tires in mcdonough,GA to be exact. The manager personally worked on mine because he understood what i was going through because he had the same went though the same s**t as a kid.

Today my tires are still good n my alignment is so straight without any camber kits! hard to find people like that now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.