Zane's Boosted D-Series Build

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok guys some of yall know i have a hatch, and have a build thread following the car on here already.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=177029

But this thread will be the SLOW build of my Boosted D16Z6.... the build has started and will be finished a while from now im not going all out and spending all my money on this at once, cuz i still have tons of things to do to the car's interior, exterior, and suspension.

Any ways here's what i got D16Z6, went with this motor for two reasons
1.) the z6 has better oil flow than the y8
2.) i got a z6 head for $15 off craigslist

I have already got the head disassembled and cleaned, plans now are to get brass guides, crower valves, and springs/retainers/keepers (titanium). And find a z6 block lol. and two exhaust studs.

on to the pictures...=)
Before it was disassembled and cleaned

After cleaning

Could Someone tell me what three plugs or whatever these are?

Back to the pictures...

OK ok OK... Look Intake Valves, nice and straight

Now Exhaust valves, nice and bent! Everyone of them!!!

This is what i work with

And this is what my work area looks like... downstairs in my man cave!!!! My whole house would be my man cave but my woman lives with me now.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those three "plugs", ones a coolant line that runs to the firewall into the heater core, a pressure sensor, and one is a oil temp sensor (in that order, from left to right according to that picture).

Looks good tho. I would definately get that head checked out professionally since all those valves were bent. That means the timing belt either slipped, or broke. So I would get it checked out just in case.

What are your goals for the motor?

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a shop called High Velocity Heads check it out and the guides looked fine.

Plans are:

Brass Guides
Crower Valves
Crower Spring
Crower Titanium Retainer/Keepers
Crower Stage 2 Turbo Cam
Some kind of Cam Gear

I am building the z6 motor to make around 300-350 hp, on about 12-15 lbs. of boost.

Autoworks

5+ Year Member
I had a shop called High Velocity Heads check it out and the guides looked fine.

Plans are:

Brass Guides
Crower Valves
Crower Spring
Crower Titanium Retainer/Keepers
Crower Stage 2 Turbo Cam
Some kind of Cam Gear

I am building the z6 motor to make around 300-350 hp, on about 12-15 lbs. of boost.
Your off to a nice start. For your power goal, I'd back up on the big investment your about to make in head parts. The power could easily be made with stock head components. What is the rest of the turbo setup going to be? What compression piston?

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have been researching alot and it seems that the vitara piston setup in these motors have many people impressed, so i planed on using the vitara set-up.

As for the rest of the motor, i was thinking a forged crank, H-beam rods, ARP Pro rod bolts, vitara pistons, ARP head studs, and i guess thats about it for the major things, i havent even thought about piecing the turbo kit together yet, i figured i would wait till i had a motor before i get the turbo.

And the reason i want to beef up the internals is cuz, i know the stock one can handle 300hp, but the upgraded internals can handle alot more than 300hp, and i want something somewhat reliable, and i feel that if i upgrade the internals and only push 300-350 hp, then the upgraded internals would DEFINITELY be able to handle that with no trouble, therefore adding some longevity to the motor

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have been researching alot and it seems that the vitara piston setup in these motors have many people impressed, so i planed on using the vitara set-up.

As for the rest of the motor, i was thinking a forged crank, H-beam rods, ARP Pro rod bolts, vitara pistons, ARP head studs, and i guess thats about it for the major things, i havent even thought about piecing the turbo kit together yet, i figured i would wait till i had a motor before i get the turbo.

And the reason i want to beef up the internals is cuz, i know the stock one can handle 300hp, but the upgraded internals can handle alot more than 300hp, and i want something somewhat reliable, and i feel that if i upgrade the internals and only push 300-350 hp, then the upgraded internals would DEFINITELY be able to handle that with no trouble, therefore adding some longevity to the motor
The head internals can handle the power, unless you plan on reving higher than factory limits. If your going w/the Vitara pistons, what kind of rods are you going with? When I do my build, Im going with the custom lenght FJT rods, so the pistons are up closer to the deck of the block.

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great start..ill be following this!
Thanks man

The head internals can handle the power, unless you plan on reving higher than factory limits. If your going w/the Vitara pistons, what kind of rods are you going with? When I do my build, Im going with the custom lenght FJT rods, so the pistons are up closer to the deck of the block.
Thats something to think about, because honestly i havent even thought about how high in the rpm range i plan on traveling??? good point sir....

and the rods i will be using will the h-beam rods with ARP Pro Rod Bolts.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What brand of H-Beam rods, is what I mean. ;)

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice build there man i might be turboing my d16 or put a b20...if i do turbo it ill be using Vitara pistons with Eagle Rods for sure :thumbs up heard and seen a lot of good things about that combo

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice build there man i might be turboing my d16 or put a b20...if i do turbo it ill be using Vitara pistons with Eagle Rods for sure :thumbs up heard and seen a lot of good things about that combo
Yeah, i have asked around on turbod16.com and they all recommend the vitara + eagle combo

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^
lol@same comment in multiple threads.

Should be fun, a friend and I just finished his D series build for boost :thumbup:

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hope so..... Im still looking around for a block and cant seem to find the right one :(