ZC/A16 vs D16Y7

1998HatchCT

Hi 6th generation owners
I need some advise. I replaced my original engine which was a D16Y7 with a japanese engine (A16). The company guaranteed that the A16 was the exact fit. There were minor replacements done with the exhaust manifold and some wiring but nothing serious except for the crank shaft sensor check engine error. I purchased a new crankshaft sensor but it did not clear the engine light error. Now I have run out of ideas. My old mechanic buddy says that the A16 is an older engine which had a OBD1 sensor not a OBD2 sensor which was on the D16Y7. Any help will be appreciated. I'm hoping not to replace the engine since it runs great and it seems to have more power than my old engine.
AJ

1998HatchCT

thanks for the info but are there procedures on how to do that? My mechanic sold the old engine so there are no parts to replaced if i needed to swap the distributor. Any help is appreciated. I don't even know how old is the A16? I think that it may be older than a 98
aj

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
By about a decade

google civic OBD2 to OBD1 conversion, probably 100 write-ups on it.

1998HatchCT

d16A engine swap

Correction-it was a d16a engine which was replaced. Mechanic thinks that it may be the ECU but before i get another one could that be the issue for the crankshaft sensor to come on? Also it has a OBD2 type and i assume that its not that old of an engine compared to my original D16y7