ZC engine & tranny fits

drummer4261900

5+ Year Member
ZC SOHC VTEC Engine & 5 Speed. I have a really weird question. I have a really beat up Honda Civic 1994 dx coupe no power steering. My question is my engine and transmission only have under 80,000 miles on it because I got a used one with less than 60,000 miles and I haven't put 20,000 on the engine and transmission.

I'm trying to find out what's the newest car I can put it in with power steering. The reason I ask is I see a lot of blown engine cars really cheap that are a lot nicer looking then mine.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
If you put that engine in to anything newer than a 1995 Civic you'd be downgrading to a certain extent. Why would you want to put an older engine in a newer car? I can't think if too many times that's a positive thing instead of a negative. The easiest swap would be for you to drop it in to a 1992-1995 Civic, maybe a 1989-1991 Civic but not extremely sure about that one.

MotorMo

Respected
Being that its a "D" series engine, you can easily swap the entire power train into 92-00 civics. 01+ civics have a different set up, and am unsure if even the engine can be swapped out from the D17 to the D16.
That being said, if you live in Cali, the law states that you cant put an older engine in a newer car. So smog issues can arise. Also changing OBD 1 to OBD 2 can be some work. But that's why they make jumper harnesses.
91 and older civics use a cable clutch, but the engine is still the "same".

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you put that engine in to anything newer than a 1995 Civic you'd be downgrading to a certain extent. Why would you want to put an older engine in a newer car? I can't think if too many times that's a positive thing instead of a negative. The easiest swap would be for you to drop it in to a 1992-1995 Civic, maybe a 1989-1991 Civic but not extremely sure about that one.
It's a d series motor, no different than any z6 or y8 essentially.
So it will drop into and you can make nearly plug n play into any 88-00 Civic.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
It's a d series motor, no different than any z6 or y8 essentially.
So it will drop into and you can make nearly plug n play into any 88-00 Civic.
Right but why would you want to put an older engine in to like an EK lets say? That was the point I was trying to make.

MotorMo

Respected
The OBD1 D series engine has two holes in the crank shaft to lubricate its bearings. "EK" D series engines have only one hole- perhaps that's why the D16Y7, and Y8 have more bottom end bearing issues than the older D engines. If I were to choose one over the other, I would choose the OBD1 engine. Just my person way of things. I also personally think the 92-95 civics are a bit better built than the 96-00's. Again just my opinion. I'm speaking from a USDM stand point, not trying to judge the overseas market, as I think they do have a different quality control, and perhaps tighter clearances on the machines that make the cars- like the EK9 which was a very well built ride.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Right but why would you want to put an older engine in to like an EK lets say?
If it's similar enough and has less mileage, what would it matter?

Also because of this....

The OBD1 D series engine has two holes in the crank shaft to lubricate its bearings. "EK" D series engines have only one hole- perhaps that's why the D16Y7, and Y8 have more bottom end bearing issues than the older D engines. .

drummer4261900

5+ Year Member
Here's the only reason I'm thinking about it is my car cosmetically is really rough. Then I also know I could add power steering but that's more money. Then I've been looking for the double din center console so I can have a double din stereo. So either I'm going to sell my car for maybe 1500 and buy a car with close to 200,000 miles. With a nice body, power steering, and a double din stereo. Or I can find a project car for $200 or $300 and put my engine and transmission with less than 70k miles.

MotorMo

Respected
What are the emissions laws in Ohio regarding engine swaps?

In Honda engineers I do trust. My guess would be that these^ anecdotal accounts could easily have been avoided by maintaining proper engine oil levels and regularly changing the engine oil and oil filter. And use of full synthetic motor oil should also extend the life of any engine.
Love it. "In Honda engineers I do trust". As do I sir. But I've also seen what appears to be a change, perhaps, in the engineers that were hired there in the past 20 years. As a Honda mechanic, I've come to enjoy the older engineers of yesterday (OBD1), over the cable shifted, fly by wire, Macpherson strut set ups that the engineers have come up with. Not just due to my 9-5 mechanic job, but also from my personal racing interests and experiences. But don't get me wrong, where would we all be with these engineers? Getting a bit off topic now... :worthy:HONDA