zc vs si tranny

sherfield2002

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i'm gettin a new tranny b/c the dx tranny in my si aint cuttin it. i have found some si and some zc trannys and was wonderin which one would be better. i heard the si tranny was geared for more acceleration but not sure. anyways let me know what u think

Jay eS Iye

n00whuh?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they are just about the same, but the ZC uses equal length axles. Best setup is a hybrid ZC/Si

civickidd99

not fast, but it's paid 4
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard that the parts of the zc tranny aren't readily available in the US! The motors are made up of american parts, but i don't think many of the USDM parts will work in a zc tranny. Might be wrong, correct me if I am.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any D series parts will fit the ZC, with the exception of cams since it is DOHC, but i believe skunk 2 sells cams for it.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Ace$nyper
yea but theres also the SOHC ZC
which is a completly worthless piece of s**t that starts burning oil well before it hits 100k miles

phan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Melt
which is a completly worthless piece of s**t that starts burning oil well before it hits 100k miles
eek, someone needs a rebuild...:( thank god those motors aren't horribly expensive.

as per the tranny question, the acceleration would be a bit greater with the zc, but would leave you at higher rpm on the highway. with the si you sacrifice some acceleration, but cruise at a lower rpm on the freeway (different final drive ratio or 5th gear i think?). acceleration is nice, but cruising @ 5k only doing 80mph kills gas mileage, especially when your gf lives 40mi away. :???: