Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Items you will need for any of the following projects:

For Plastic Panels
Required time: 2 days
Paint: 1 can of Krylon Gray Primer paint, 1 can of Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint

(If no seats, skip to Step 2)
Step 1- Remove rear seats.
Step 2- Remove all panels out of car for desired painting, using a 10mm & 14mm socket and a phillips head screw driver for bolts and screws.
Step 3- Clean surface of panels using a sponge or wash cloth with very little soap & warm water.
Step 4- Wipe down panels with water only cloth or paper towels.
Step 5- Dry panels off with cloth or paper towels.
Step 6- By hand, sand panels with 400 grit sandpaper.
(Just surface sand the to give the paint have something to stick to.)

Step 6- Using Krylon Gray Primer Paint primer panels applying only one coat.
(Primer optional or if different color than paint; Skip to Step 8.)
Step 7- Let primer dry for 15 minutes.
Step 8- Using Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint(any color you choose), shake can. From left to right spray a light coat of paint onto the panel.
(Be sure to cover all visible sides.)
Step 9- Let it dry for 10 minutes.
Step 10- Repeat Step 8 until desired finish.
(I suggest 3 or more coats.)
Step 11- Let it dry over night or during the day in the sunlight for 4 hours
Step 12- Re-install panels with 10mm & 14mm socket and a phillips head screw driver for bolts and screws.

For Carpeting
Paint: 2 cans of Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint

Step 1- Vacuum carpet from any debre.
Step 2- Remove kick panels from car.
Step 3- Remove seats with a 14mm socket for bolts.
Step 4- Remove carpeting from car.
(Skip Steps 5-7 if not necessary and continue to Step 8.)
Step 5- If carpet is stained or dirty, proceed to clean.
Use a scrub brush with soap and warm water.
Step 6- Rinse until soap suds are no longer visible.
Step 7- Let carpet dry for a day, in the sun or in a air circulated area.
Step 8- Place carpet flat on ground.
Step 9- Lay out newspaper around edges of carpet for over spray.
Step 10- Using Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint on carpeting, shake can. Spray left to right until carpet is all one color.

Step 11- Let carpet dry for 2 hours or until carpet is dry.
Step 12- Re-install carpet back in car.

Step 13- Re-install kick panels.
Step 14- Re-install seats with 14mm socket for bolts.

For Vinyl Moldings
Required time: 4 to 6 hours
Paint: 1 can of Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint

Step 1- Remove vinyl molding.

Step 2- Using a safety pin and hanger, attach the safety pin by poking a hole onto one end of the molding. Attach pin to hanger.
Step 3- Hang hanger on a tree branch distanced from the stump for painting process.
Step 4- Mask off any area from overspray with newspaper or garbage bags.
Step 5- Using Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint spray up and down until molding is of desired color. (Only two coats is needed unless lighter color.)
Step 6- Let it dry for 2 hours.
Step 7- Re-install back into car.

For Vinyl Door Panels
Paint: 1 can of Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint, 1 can of Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint

Step 1- Remove vinyl door panels with a screw driver for screws.

Step 2- Clean surface of dash & panels using a sponge or wash cloth with very little soap & warm water.
Step 3- With water only cloth or paper towel, wipe off excess soap.
Step 4- Dry with dry cloth or paper towel.
Step 5- Use masking tape, plastic garbage bags, and newspaper to mask off any undesired area from being painted.
Step 6- Using Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint spray from left to right only one coat of paint.
Step 7- Let it dry for 10 minutes.
Step 8- Using Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint(any color you choose), shake can. From right to left spray a light coat of paint onto the panel.
Step 10- Repeat Steps 8 & until desired finish.
(I suggest 2 or more coats.)
Step 11- Let it dry over night or during the day in the sunlight for 4 hours.
Step 12- Install back in car with a screw driver for screws.
Notes: I used the two different paints because with black, the vinyl paint made it look dull. May be tacky to touch.

For Vinyl Dashboard
Required time: 1 day
Paint: 1 can of Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric paint, 1 can of Krylon Fuison for Plastic paint

Step 1- Clean surface of dash & panels using a sponge or wash cloth with very little soap & warm water.
Step 2- With water only cloth or paper towel, wipe off excess soap.
Step 3- Dry surfaces with dry cloth or paper towel.

Step 4- Use masking tape, plastic garbage bags, and newspaper to mask off any undesired area from being painted.
Step 6- Using Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint spray from left to right only one coat of paint.
Step 7- Let it dry for 10 minutes.
Step 8- Using Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint(any color you choose), shake can. From right to left spray a light coat of paint onto the panel.
Step 10- Repeat Steps 8 & until desired finish.
(I suggest 2 or more coats.)
Step 11- Let it dry over night or during the day in the sunlight for 4 hours.
Notes: I used the two different paints because with black, the vinyl paint made it look dull. May be tacky to touch.

For Floorboard
Required time: 1 day
Paint: 2 cans of Krylon Interior-Exterior paint, 4 cans for entire floorboard of car

Step 1- Open all windows, doors, and hatch/trunk for ventilation.
Step 2- Gut rear seats, front seats, paneling, and attached carpeting out using a 10 mm & 14mm socket for bolts and phillips head screw driver for screws.
Step 3- Remove rear paneling out of car, using a 10mm & 14mm socket and a phillips head screw driver for bolts and screws.

Step 4- Clean surface of floorboard using a scrub brush, sponge or wash cloth with very little soap & warm water.
Step 5- Wipe floorboard with water only cloth or paper towels.
Step 6- Dry floorboard off with cloth or paper towels.
Step 7- Sand floorboard of any areas where there is surface rust by hand with 400 grit sandpaper.
(Just surface sand it to let the paint have something to stick to.)
Step 8- Using masking tape, mask off any undesired area from over spray with newspaper or garbage bags.
Step 9- Using Krylon Interior-Exterior Paint (any color), spray left to right light equal coats.
Step 10- Let it dry for 10 minutes.

Step 11- Repeat Steps 9 & 10 until desired finish.
(I suggest 4 to 6 coats of paint.)
Step 12- Let it dry in the sunlight for 4 hours.
Step 13- Re-install carpeting.
Step 14- Reinstall front seats.
(Steps 15 & 16 is optional)
Step 15- Re-install paneling.
Step 16- Re-install rear seats.
Notes: Make sure there is good weather for a week before doing this project. The fumes alone in the car will kill ya.

Before:

After:

For $50 and a free weekend, I did this WHOLE project myself. :D

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Continued...

Some Helpful Tips:
-It covers/hides scratches really well also. You can Armorall the panels after a week to make sure it's completely dry and protect those results.
-Light coats when using the paint.
-Patience is key!
-Lots of drying and airing out time plays a main key for better results.
-Expect to do touch up's when needed.
-Perfect time to do this project is spring/summer where you can have the windows rolled down due to the fumes. Warmer climates have the upper advantage all the time.

Did you know?
-They do make carpet, dash, and plastic dyes which was something else that is pretty much time consuming. It's called rit dye, which can be found at most regular stores. Or you can go to your local paint/detail shop and purchase the materials they use for a DIY.
-There are some companies that make new stock carpeting. $250 to $600 for molded already carpets in many colors. Ebay sells some cost effective ones.

Where can I buy the paint?
-Any type of fabric paint will work on the carpeting. This can be found at any local fabric stores such as Michael's, Joann's, Ben Franklin Crafts and etc... Comes in various colors, as long as it says it's for fabric.
-Krylon Fusion for Plastic Paint & Krylon Gray Primer Paint can be found at Walmart.
-Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paint can be found at any local Autozone, Advanced Auto, and Pep-Boys.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ouch... i REALLY would have suggested you do some adhesion promoter like bulldog.....

that "krylon for platics" says it doesnt need adhesion promoter... but it does

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
ouch... i REALLY would have suggested you do some adhesion promoter like bulldog.....

that "krylon for platics" says it doesnt need adhesion promoter... but it does
I haven't had any problems since I did the painting projects for a few years now on 3 different cars.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
excellent.. How did you do the steering wheel?

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
excellent.. How did you do the steering wheel?
I didn't. :lol: I had plans on getting a aftermarket steering wheel with quick release & hub.

madhopz88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow, that looks really good. im plannin on doin the same to my car hopefully reallly soon. good job

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Excellent write up connie!!
came out great

Moved to How To Section

madhopz88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
everything on here looks most excellent. i have a question tho. does the carpet feel crusty or anything after the spray?

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
madhopz88 said:
everything on here looks most excellent. i have a question tho. does the carpet feel crusty or anything after the spray?
It feels the same way to me, just colored. :what: It's fabric paint so it can adapt to the type of material.

mmmcookies...

5+ Year Member
very good write up!! now...... did you take the dash out or just spray it in the car? just curious cause i was gonna make my interior black this summer and i was planning on taking the dash.... out lol so no overspray got on the other panels.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good, now come do mine so it looks better!!!!

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mmmcookies... said:
very good write up!! now...... did you take the dash out or just spray it in the car? just curious cause i was gonna make my interior black this summer and i was planning on taking the dash.... out lol so no overspray got on the other panels.
No, I masked everything off that I didn't want painted with masking tape.
I put newspaper on the windsheild and steering wheel (look for little holes on the newspaper and mask it off).
Used Old car towels covered on the door panels and carpet.
Used HUGE garbage bags on the seats.
Then painted it with the vinyl paint for the first solid coat.
Once that dried, I used the paint for plastic on it to give it the gloss look.

If you want better results you can take the dashboard out... BUT there is the risk of the paint being tacky still and will leave finger prints once you go to install it back in. Truely it's up to you which ever way you want to do it. I personally think it would be a pain in the ass. If you get overspray on the windsheild you can use a razor blade to take the excess off. Then windex the windows.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SphynxJDM96 said:
Looks good, now come do mine so it looks better!!!!
Hahaha I've already got some lurkers asking me if I can come do their's locally. :lol: I personally would love to if money wasn't an issue. Have the skill, will travel. ;) :lol: I just did the red hatchie's last week and did touch up's on the white hatchie while I was at it. Next I'm gutting my coupe out and doing a major interior project. It needs EVERYTHING new.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
myek96 said:
Looks great!.......but how's the paint fumes? can you still smell it?
Not anymore. Unless you put airfreshner in ya car, it should go away within no more than 2 weeks. Like I said in the write up, wait a week for it to completely dry (even in the car) to wipe it down with some water and a towel and then armorall it. It should last for quite awhile like mine has.

I'm thinking about doing the interior roof and the window panels next in black too. My boy Dustin was giving me advice on what would look good in muh car, so I'mma try it out.

kreatine30

5+ Year Member
Im trying to paint my vents in my 92 civ and was wondering, How do you deal with the bubbles??do you re-sand and pain oveR???

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kreatine30 said:
Im trying to paint my vents in my 92 civ and was wondering, How do you deal with the bubbles??do you re-sand and pain oveR???
You must have done something wrong or using the wrong kind of paint because I NEVER got any bubbles from my paint.