99 SI Gauge Cluster

tmaeroxtreme316

5+ Year Member
The problem is I cannot see my fuel, temp gauge needles at all at night. Now I know the needles them selves do not light up, and I have read that there is suppose to be 2 or so lights that shine down allowing you to see the needles. I have took apart the cluster many times trying to find out exactly why this is happening, and I couldnot figure it out all the bulbs work. Now I bought the car used maybe it is possible that something is missing that allow these needles to be seen. The MPH I see good, but the RPM gauge I barely see also. Oh and I replaced all the bulbs with new ones and same thing. So any Ideas pictures of an SI cluster front and back would help thanx

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you sure youre getting the right watt bulb? can you see the bulbs actually on? if so... maybe youre going blind?

tmaeroxtreme316

5+ Year Member
The lights are def on and work it is the right bulb. Im not blind ....I just thought maybe some1 else had this problem... I feel almost like something is restricting the light to shine on the needles

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there are two bulbs that shine down on the cluster, they are between the glass and cluster itself (if that makes sense), they illuminate the needles, and they're should be 4 or 5 little bulbs in the actual cluster housing (behind the face of the cluster)

sounds to me like the bulbs that light up the fuel gauge and temp gauge behind the cluster are not on, but if you look at these bulbs there shouldn't be any wires coming off of them so check how they are placed in there holder thingys, maybe there cocked and aren't getting power from the cluster circuit

hope this helps

tmaeroxtreme316

5+ Year Member
Does anyone have a pic of these bulbs where they are located I do not think I even have these bulbs in my cluster rememer I bought the car used maybe the previous owner took them out I wouldnt know why but maybe

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
these two are the ones that shine down onto the needles....they are #74 bulbs

these are the five bulbs in the back that ight up the cluster 1-#194 and 4 #74

these pictures were taken from OC's how-to

the rest of the bulbs in the back are the warning indicaors such as; low gas, oil, turn signals, highbeams etc...