How To: DIY black out headlights

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So today in 100+ weather :P i decided to paint my newly new pair of headlights I had purchased becuase I am using my original set for a TSX retro-fit and besides the lense on those were very foogy :???:. This pair was very clean not foggy at all. So my homie and I start on the project.
Start by taking off the self tapping screws on the front by the radiator cap, then two screws by the fenders, and finally some more self tapping screws on the bottom of the bumper.

Then go start to remove the headlights, u can use 1 10mm socket and and extension to take off the headlights. Also this would be a good time to take off all the bulbs and rubber cover.

Then you take your headlights to the oven to heat up the glue so you will able to separate them. I put the oven to 250 degrees for about 10 minutes, then i set one headlight for about 5 minutes

After that, you have to pry them apart like so:

I used a flathead screwdriver to pry them apart. After the prying, you end up with 2 separate parts.
The front lense and the reflector housing:

You have to take off 2 screws on the lense part of the headlights to get the chrome part that were are going to paint, I used a T-15 socket

Once you get it off, you have mask off the amber part. Or if you want to paint it or take out its up 2 u. I like the amber part so i left it. Then after the masking, my buddy an I started to wetsand. I used 800 grit paper

Then you start paiting:

A couple of coats should be enough.
Then you take off your masking and end up with something like this

Almost done, :suprise:, you have to put back the painted part, then set the lense back onto the reflector and finally put it back on the oven to heat up the glue to seal them back up. You should end up with something like this:

Finally you put back all your bulbs and plug everything back, put back your bumper. And here are the final results:

It took my homie and I about 3 hours to complete this job.
Comments and questions welcomed. :D

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks good i woulda just broke out the amber though ive seen people clear em out.

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY Ownage!!!

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
isnt avondale the town out in the sticks when you come into phoenix on the 10 right by buckeye?

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looken good:thumbup: but Inca gold would be awsome.

landwrx

5+ Year Member
sweet look

Just a suggestion, you blacked out your parking lights as well (the little circles between the turn signal and headlight), others may want to keep that part reflective so it doesn't just look like little bulbs lit up with your parking lights on. But really nice clean look LatinEM2!

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know you didnt paint any of the chrome part the light reflects off of but have u had any change sin lighting. i did this with my projectors when i was a rice burner and i like how it came out but i wanna do my stock headlights im debating between black or silver like my body color.

and did u have any leaking problems i had some problems with my projectors so i had to silicone the s**t out of them

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know you didnt paint any of the chrome part the light reflects off of but have u had any change sin lighting. i did this with my projectors when i was a rice burner and i like how it came out but i wanna do my stock headlights im debating between black or silver like my body color.

and did u have any leaking problems i had some problems with my projectors so i had to silicone the s**t out of them
I haven't had a chance to see the lighting since it dosen't get dark here unitll like 8 pm. And on the previous headlights that i had i never had any fogging up or problems with the city lights.

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
isnt avondale the town out in the sticks when you come into phoenix on the 10 right by buckeye?
That's sort of right it goes buckeye then goodyear and then avondale and into phoenix from there. It's not that small either though. They split the zip code because it's getting so big now. Same with goodyear minus the super cop squad.

STR_TopGun

ES1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
THAT LOOKS HOT MAN...U AND UR BUDDY DID AN AWESOME JOB...CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I DO MINE!!...yO LATER ON BE ON THE LOOK OUT I GOT MY DROP DONE I JUST NEED TO TAKE SOME PHOTOS

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
THAT LOOKS HOT MAN...U AND UR BUDDY DID AN AWESOME JOB...CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I DO MINE!!...yO LATER ON BE ON THE LOOK OUT I GOT MY DROP DONE I JUST NEED TO TAKE SOME PHOTOS
Thanks!
I'm just just misinformed about the sanding process. and I have an 04 so not 100% sure what I can blackout and what I can't
I've read that the 04-05's are a little harder to pry apart. :???: You pretty much just wetsand all the chrome-shinny parts =)

STR_TopGun

ES1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
only if u lived in jersey to give me a hand in blacking out my headlights...i finally got pics up check the members area

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice man, i might do that when i get bored enough. need to lower it first. how are the s techs holding up?

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice man, i might do that when i get bored enough. need to lower it first. how are the s techs holding up?
They holding just fine, still riding on the stock shocks. :twisted: