10+ Year Member
ya id like to see one 2

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
import tuner had one, i dont know if they still do, but thats where i found the install for my shifter... its pretty simple really

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, i found one, but its not the one i used, this one is actually more detailed, so dont get lost!!!

CLICK HERE

EDIT: link fixed... str8 to the instructions

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's pretty simple. It says to remove the cat on that walk through but i didnt even have a problem with the exhaust. It's basically undo the the two bolts on the bottom of the shift, undo the two bolts holding the rod a little farther down the shaft, unscrew the plastic cover for the shifter boot, and pull out the shift stick. Now just do everything in reverse for the new shifter. I would recommend the urethane bushings though especially if the rubber is getting soft, it will rattle like poo

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i do not take credit for this

It comes in a nice box with foam padding. The skunk2 sticker on the shifter didn't want to stick right but it doesn't show if you put a boot on anyway. I have heard a lot of people having problems installing their short shifter due to the exhaust piping. I have DC sports cat-back and really didn't have a problem. If it looks as if you are going to have a really hard time getting around your pipe, you may want to disconnect it for the time being. But be careful if you have gaskets for your exhaust piping. You don't want to damage those!

Before you begin, look at the stock shifter and keep in mind how it looks. It may help you remember how things are supposed to go together! Also, look at how the spacer and "bolt" assembly looks on the skunk2 short shifter before you go to install it. Take off the two 10mm self-locking nuts and washers holding the "change ball holder" in place. Let the shifter hang out of the way. Loosen (but don't take out) the two 10mm bolts for the shift lever to the stabilizer bar. Now, remove the two 12mm bolts and pull the shifter and assembly from the vehicle. It has a rubber boot that fits around the top of it that needs to come off. You will reuse this so be careful. Re-grease the inside of the rubber boot and place on the ball of the shifter. Replace the shifter into the shift linkage like you took it out.

Now, bolt change rod to the shifter (bottom) and reinstall the two 12mm bolts that hold up the shifter assembly. When I was bolting the change rod to the bottom of the shifter I noticed that one of the pieces (a space) that was provided with the shifter kit I did not need. 1996-1999 Civic and 1999-2000 Civic Si may need the spacer. Newer civics have a plastic piece around the ball of the stock shifter that the 5th and older generations don't have. Last, push the shift (change) rod back on and reinstall the 10-mm nut and bolt. If you took off your exhaust, rebolt it up. Reinstall your shift knob and test it out.

GHynson

5+ Year Member
Short Shifter,Shifting Issues

Does anyone have the problem of the short shifter not fully engaging the gears?
From a neutral position, it's "sometimes" hard to go into 1st gear unless I press down/ease up on the clutch pedal. It works better to go from neutral to 2nd and then 1st, before letting up on the clutch.
Also it seems to "click" into each gear and not a smooth shift like most shifters.
And it grinds the gear a little when shifting into 5th at high rev around 5k-7k rpm.
Can anyone help me diagnose this issue as I'm just getting into the modding scene.

Thanks,

mongus

5+ Year Member
I have a 1996 EX and I just installed a Ralco short shifter and ES bushings. The ES bushings made a huge difference. I did not have to remove the exhaust. I did however have a problem with the shift linkage being too close to the exhaust and causing a rattle. There are 2 counter-weights on the end of the linkage. I ended up taking a dremel to the longer weight and cutting about an inch off at an angle so the linkage would clear. This does not appear to have created any problems. If shift effort were increased I could have gone with a heavier knob. I am very pleased with the shifter. Throws are short and crisp now. (hows that for my first post?)

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have a 1996 EX and I just installed a Ralco short shifter and ES bushings. The ES bushings made a huge difference. I did not have to remove the exhaust. I did however have a problem with the shift linkage being too close to the exhaust and causing a rattle. There are 2 counter-weights on the end of the linkage. I ended up taking a dremel to the longer weight and cutting about an inch off at an angle so the linkage would clear. This does not appear to have created any problems. If shift effort were increased I could have gone with a heavier knob. I am very pleased with the shifter. Throws are short and crisp now. (hows that for my first post?)
A+

:party2:

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BTW, just as far as reviews go, I really enjoy my GSR dual bend shifter with energy suspension bushings.

mongus

5+ Year Member
BTW, just as far as reviews go, I really enjoy my GSR dual bend shifter with energy suspension bushings.
Interestingly I bought a "GSR dual bend short shifter" off Ebay from an individual. I had never seen my original shifter and waited a few months to install it when I had time. As it turned out it was IDENTICAL to the stock I had. Too much time had elapsed for grievance resolution so I still have it. I have heard these are great as well but beware. My guess is I got a shifter from a non-GSR Integra? Unless someone put a dual bend in my otherwise stock Civic?

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Buy a short short shifter, get some bushings to go along with it, raise ur car, and figure it out.... I'm a freakin nurse, not a mechanic and I could figure out. Look at the parts you have in ur hand and replace the old ones that look like it.... Sorry I know my 'explanation' wack, but really dude, it's super simple..... Hint: The more you raise ur car, the better it'll be to work underneath....

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Interestingly I bought a "GSR dual bend short shifter" off Ebay from an individual. I had never seen my original shifter and waited a few months to install it when I had time. As it turned out it was IDENTICAL to the stock I had. Too much time had elapsed for grievance resolution so I still have it. I have heard these are great as well but beware. My guess is I got a shifter from a non-GSR Integra? Unless someone put a dual bend in my otherwise stock Civic?
uuhhhhhh :scurred:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
this has to be some kind of record. the original post is over 5 years old!!!!!!!! :rolf:

Malfa

5+ Year Member
is the shifter a dual bend?

civic hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does anyone have the problem of the short shifter not fully engaging the gears?
From a neutral position, it's "sometimes" hard to go into 1st gear unless I press down/ease up on the clutch pedal. It works better to go from neutral to 2nd and then 1st, before letting up on the clutch.
Also it seems to "click" into each gear and not a smooth shift like most shifters.
And it grinds the gear a little when shifting into 5th at high rev around 5k-7k rpm.
Can anyone help me diagnose this issue as I'm just getting into the modding scene.

Thanks,
that sounds like you have transmission problems, first check the amount of fluid you have in there, add tranny fluid or change it out completly, start there then look a tmore expensive issues.

if you have to you might have to remove the transmission, usuall the main shaft bearing starts to walk and causes the gear set no to line up perfectly, that casuses a lot of issues with gears grinding.

hope that helps