92 Civic wont start

Nabz

5+ Year Member
My 92 civic was not starting due to my battery i then changed it and was fine until several hours later when i got into the car again and it wouln't start and was told there was no spark so i had the distributor changed and it was still not starting, i was getting spark but the fuel was not going through and the fuel pump was fine so i changed the main relay and then i was not getting a spark changed the dizzy again and still not getting a spark, i've had a few mechanics check it and they don't have a clue whats wrong with it. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

jcivic94

5+ Year Member
happened to me man i was going through dizzys like mad.........i sanded down the engine earths and added in a few more earths around the engine bay and its 100% now

monotech

Banned
Disconnect the fuel hose from the rail and turn the key to the on position and see if theres fuel flowing.
If you changed the distributor and main relay could be a possible bad fuel pump or bad ecu.

Nabz

5+ Year Member
I have tried that and the fuel was definately flowing, i dont think its a fuel pump issue and i've been telling myself its not the ECU (hopefully)

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try and turn it over a few times and then check the plugs and see if they are wet. if they arnt then you may have clogged injectors.

Nabz

5+ Year Member
I've tried that and flooded my sparks, took them out dried them and left it for a bit and still the car doesn't want to start.

red92gsr

Old Guy
5+ Year Member
next time you try to start it and it doesnt dont turn the key of and try to see if you can pull any codes from the ecu . I had the same prob wit my car and it turned out to be the temp sensor was bad and the ecu wasnt allowing the coil to fire.

Nabz

5+ Year Member
I did try to check my ecu for error codes and i was told there is an LED light but i couldn't find it and i opened up my ecu, can anyone point me in the right direction?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no led. there is a little t-pin plug on the passenger side tucked up next to the glove box. pull it down and then jump in with a paperclip. then turn the ignition to "on" (dont start the car) the cel (check engine light) will flash the codes to you. a long flash is 10 short flash is 1. like...... long-short-short-short would be code 13. ill get a pic of the location for you and a list of codes.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
here you go. the arrow points to where the plug will be resting under the dash. there will be two plugs there. a 2-pin (circled) and a 3-pin (crossed out) you need the 2-pin.

Here is the list of codes.

0 Engine Control Module (ECM)
1 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)
3 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP Sensor)
4 Crankshaft Position (CKP Sensor)
6 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT Sensor)
7 Throttle Position (TP Sensor)
8 Top Dead Center Position (TDC Sensor)
9 No. 1 Cylinder Position (CYP Sensor)
10 Intake Air Temperature (IAT Sensor)
13 Barometric Pressure (BARO Sensor)
14 Idle Air Control (IAC Valve)
15 Ignition Output Signal
16 Fuel Injector
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
20 Electrical Load Detector (ELD)
21 Variable Valve Timing & Valve Lift Electronic Control Solenoid Valve (VTEC Solenoid Valve)
22 Variable Valve Timing & Valve Lift Electronic Control Pressure Switch (VTEC Pressure Switch)
23 Knock Sensor (KS)
30 A/T FI Signal A
31 A/T FI Signal B
41 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater
43 Fuel Supply System

Nabz

5+ Year Member
Thank you very much, i will check this and let you know what happens

luispizarro25

5+ Year Member
so what happened with this. i had the same issue in the engine before i swaped for a different one. i had to let the car sit for hours before i could start it again.... never knew what it was. im still puzzled tho

Nabz

5+ Year Member
please let me know what happens... id like to know what was the issue
I can confirm it is a bad ECU sorry for the late reply. I was wondering if i was to reset my ECU is there any chance of the same problem coming back again? Does anybody know?

luispizarro25

5+ Year Member
no resetting th ECU wont harm anything. You can just pull the fuse or if you unplug the battery would do the sane trick

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pulling the battery does not reset the ecu. you gotta pull the "back up" fues as well.