How To: Fix Broken Hood Release Handle

kristinc

I love this idea, especially considering it's the second plastic part to break on my car in the past few months and I'm a little tired of it -- I'm going to give it a go tomorrow or the next day, but I have two quick questions for the OP or whoever else has tried this.

1. Is it easy to remove the wrench once you install it? I don't have a dremel or other way to cut the handle down right now, but I'm sure my father does whenever I go home to see him. I want to put the wrench on before then, though, to see how it works (The handle bars will probably be uneven so it doesn't catch on the door.)

2. How did you whittle the plastic down to fit the wrench on?

Thanks so much!

DaggWood

To remove the wrench , it is as easy as removing a bit from a drill.

To remove the plastic i use simple wire cutter and a remove little piece of plastic at the time until the wrench fit in.

I dint try it with the full wrench handle but it probably will fit.

honkage

how about when when the latch snap is that a lot of work

Vortex12

I haver the same problem

Can anyone tell me the size of the tap wrench to make this fix ? I tried 0-1/4 and it was too small. I also tried 1/4-1/2 and it was too big do I need metric and if so what size.

mr_clean

so I just got a stock 99 and the same damn thing happened to me (go figure). I went and got the tap handle and all was good until I had to get the remaining plastic off... in effort to do, so the pin wont go back in and the hood doesn't latch. So now I still have no handle, a hood that wont close, and the plastic is still there. Anyone know a quick fix? I can't drive it in fear that the hood will fly right open.

Suggestions for a newcomer??

Cat

I only registered to say this f**king tutorial is going to help me out a s**t ton. My damn handle broke off today and I had a serious "OH f**k" moment.

slowek11

I got this done of my ek the latch was broken for a while. Works perfect kinda of hard to get the ol plastic of tho.. i bought mine at home depot Just ask for a t wrench handle..about 5 bucks

darkmentality

Can anyone tell me the size of the tap wrench to make this fix ? I tried 0-1/4 and it was too small. I also tried 1/4-1/2 and it was too big do I need metric and if so what size.
Bump

Also, I bought both sizes but don't know how they will stay on cause if I tighten it, I don't see anything inside the wrench moving to lock onto the cable. Furthermore I bought craftsman ones and are the T handle suppose to swing back and forth or there are some that just ransom in place?

dmckowen3

I just did this on a friend of mine's '97 Civic LX. I bought the T-Wrench at Lowes, 1/8" to 1/4" Kobalt for $4.95 (in tool world). I cut the plastic down with an exacto knife. I did use a pair of pliers to tighten down the T-wrench. Total process took 15 minutes. Thanks again for the post;it saved me hours of time.

bonnie17

My daughter just bought a 98 civic hx and the car has the same problem the handle is broken and there is a piece of wire there to open the hood now we have a solution now and it looks good thanks

Darb

Just wanted to thank you for this. I've been thinking there must be a simple fix.... I went to Lowes, bought the Kobalt t handle tap wrench.... I used my dremel to get rid on the plastic.... it's done, it works and it looks ok. I chose to leave the the t handle off. The peg is easy to grip as it.
Thanks again.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My handle is still on but it it extremely stubborn to unlatch. I need to use two hands in order to pop the hood and even then, I need to leverage myself just the right way to pop it. On top of that, if I dont push the lever back in, the hood won't shut all the way. Do I need a new cable or is it something else?
Here is a picture:

Once again, I have to pull apart the plastic and use two hands and leverage my 6'2" frame so that I can pull the lever. Can somebody help me? Thanks