92 VSS installation.

Dnguyen92

So I just copped a new VSS today since my odometer+speedometer doesnt work. Do i just swap the top part where the wires plug in? or can i swap the whole thing.

97ek_coupe

I would just swap the whole thing, its just one bolt. Be careful, that one bolt will break VERY EASILY. Does not have to be super tight, the sensor has a rubber o ring on it that creates a pretty good seal

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Dnguyen92

I would just swap the whole thing, its just one bolt. Be careful, that one bolt will break VERY EASILY. Does not have to be super tight, the sensor has a rubber o ring on it that creates a pretty good seal

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
hmmm which bolt is it? I know there's those two 10mm that's on the sides of it but that's only if you're swapping the top piece..

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Swapping the VSS is probably the easiest thing you will do in the engine bay. You literally unplug the VSS, unscrew the three bolts, pull the thing out making sure you took the old driveshaft with you (usually what breaks), and pop the new one in.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just swap the top half... but to swap the whole VSS you un-bolt the one bolt that is furthest from you on the passenger side of the car. it is tall and has about an inch and a half of un-threaded length.

DO NOT over tighten. The bolt will break, and if it doesn't it will strip the housing.

Dnguyen92

I just swap the top half... but to swap the whole VSS you un-bolt the one bolt that is furthest from you on the passenger side of the car. it is tall and has about an inch and a half of un-threaded length.

DO NOT over tighten. The bolt will break, and if it doesn't it will strip the housing.
is that the only bolt i need to take off? because i took it off but that b***h wont move for nothing.

Dnguyen92

Ok nvm I got it. Gonna go test drive it to see if my speedo will work. If it doesnt.. what else could it be?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pull the cluster and check the wiring and the PCB on the back of the cluster for tears.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Dnguyen92

Pull the cluster and check the wiring and the PCB on the back of the cluster for tears.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Which is the pcb? And I have sn automatic cluster even though I'm driving manual, and towards the bottom of the back of the cluster I see that there's both a green and yellow slot for something to plug in. I only have the yellow side in there isn't anything for the green slot to plug into.