tranny/clutch problem

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
hey guys, it's been quite awhile since I've been on here...i've looked around and seen some 'familiar faces' so it's good to see people are still using this great resource. Anyway, I need some help with a drivetrain problem I've been having. First off, I'm pretty confident the problem isn't the clutch but I guess it's definitely possible since it's got at least 55,000 miles on it since I bought the car. I think the problem is with my master/slave. Basically, I'm lightly grinding gears on about 50% of shifts and it's hard to get in gear sometimes while driving (all gears). I don't know much about trannys/clutches so any helpful advice to rule things out would be great. The resevoir looks good, but I haven't bled the system, and no CEL, still getting 37-39 mpg out of the motor.

Only mod under the hood is an AEM CAI

perez7504

Definetly sounds like your synchros are starting to go on the transmission. Usually 90% of the time that what causes the grinding of gears and sometimes hard to get it into gears. If your clutch pedal feels spongy and loose then its your clutch master cylinder. But if it feels pressurized and strong then you can rule that out. My best bet ofcourse like i saod would be your synchros. Get that changed asap if u dont want to damage your tranny any further

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how does the clutch feel? what is your fluid level at?

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
Definetly sounds like your synchros are starting to go on the transmission. Usually 90% of the time that what causes the grinding of gears and sometimes hard to get it into gears. If your clutch pedal feels spongy and loose then its your clutch master cylinder. But if it feels pressurized and strong then you can rule that out. My best bet ofcourse like i saod would be your synchros. Get that changed asap if u dont want to damage your tranny any further
how does the clutch feel? what is your fluid level at?
The clutch feels pretty normal. it's not spongy feeling, It may be a little bit worse than it used to be, but it still seems to have life left in it. I'll look into the synchros, thanks