Where do i go?!

brownbear24

I have a 90 civic, that needs paint. I just wanna have a nice matte black paint, and ive been too a few places and they want the upwards of 3k to do it! i dont wanna go to macco, heard too many bad things, i live right by the ohio,michigan border. am willing to travel a lil bit, any suggestions would help!

Decipher

Registered VIP
put an ad on craigslist. Find someone who does work privately, ask to see previous work/ finished products they have done, firsthand if possible(not just pictures). You'd be surprised how many folks you can find that either do work on the side at body shops for pretty cheap or people that have bays set up for personal use and can do it for low cost. Buy your own paint and do your own prep before hand and you should be able to get it sprayed for well under 1k.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
put an ad on craigslist. Find someone who does work privately, ask to see previous work/ finished products they have done, firsthand if possible(not just pictures). You'd be surprised how many folks you can find that either do work on the side at body shops for pretty cheap or people that have bays set up for personal use and can do it for low cost. Buy your own paint and do your own prep before hand and you should be able to get it sprayed for well under 1k.
Sounds like a good idea to me. You really will be surprised how many people do it on the side. I'm part of a local forum and anytime someone posts up a Want To Hire thread, a good handful of people hop on it instantly. The hard part is finding an honest worker especially when you don't know the person.

Decipher

Registered VIP
The hard part is finding an honest worker especially when you don't know the person.
Right. The usually rules still apply: if a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If the person is willing to compromise on the price, it typically means they're going to compromise on the product = not good. And with paint, if you rush or cut corners... you end up with s***.

Again, someone who does good work should be able to show you their product(satisfied customers' cars) without hesitation. This should be(for me at least) the deciding factor. If you're happy with the quality of their work, and even better, if you can talk to the previous customers and get their input as far as end result/price/their experience with the person in question... you better know what to expect. Don't rush into anything. If it's important to you, take your time and find the best option.

brownbear24

alright. i never even thought of that. thanks. How are is it to do it urself? do eitiher of you guys have experience doing it?

Decipher

Registered VIP
No, i've never personally done it.

If you're not going to make it a hobby, or do multiple jobs... it might not be worth investing the money into all the equipment just to do the one job. It's not that difficult depending on your experience, but there are a lot of ways to f*** up. It's really scientific when you start to get into it. Everything affects how a paint job turns out... temperature, humidity, the gun you use, the angle and distance you spray at... but it would be fun to do it yourself if you feel like trying. Especially if you're just going matte black... I guess there's less to f**k up in your case.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you were around alabama id do it for 500, if you prepped it.