lagging sol

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here latly my sol hasnt had as much get up and go. and my gas mileage is not as good as what it should be. getting roughly 27-29mpg and thats not getting on it. iv replaced plugs, wires, dizzy cap, rotor button, ignition coil, fuel filter, air filter, battery, and pcv valve. I dont think i have a cel but not sure if it works or not. (it does come on and go off when the key is turned to on)

motor is a d16z6 with 2inch exhaust from the header back, no cat and oem muffler. aem sri 146xxx miles. intake helped with the low end power a bit but still feels like its limp. valve seals are bad so i do burn oil but not sure of how much. and as far as i know the timing belt hasnt been replaced.

i have not done a compression test yet but will perform one this weekend

my guess is o2 sensor but i would think if its bad it would cause a cel. any help is appreciated

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump any suggestions? iv been told to check my piston rings for compression issues.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you always go to the same place to get gas? That could be some of the reason. I kinda doubt it though, just a suggestion. I used to always get bad gas at this one pump..

If your cel light comes on and off when starting the car its, working. and your cel light will come on if your o2 sensor is messed up, so I doubt it's that.

Have you changed your spark plugs?

DaOne

a Compression test would probably clear things up..
is vtec kicking in?

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have you changed your spark plugs?
reading owns you. yes iv changed plugs. and yes i do get gas at one place. iv heard bad about it but its what iv used when iv gotten 36-38 on highway.

unsure about vtec. hard to hear it kick in on a sohc. even with i/h/e.

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
little update. still havent done a compression test because iv been low on money. figured im burning about a half a quart of oil every 150-200 miles.

plan on doing a top end gasket kit within the next couple of weeks to fix valve seals. figure ill goahead and do the full top end just to get it done. plan on going with a felpro top end kit and doing the timing belt, water pump and tensioner while im at it.

which would i be safer to go with arp headstuds or arp headbolts? i do plan on taking it down the drag strip a few times for shits and giggles, as well as autoxing it.

also would you guys recommend going with a gates timing belt, tensioner and waterpump? corsport has a whole set for 97.

95coupeEX

If you're burning a half quart every 200 miles then the loss of power is probably b/c the plugs are covered in oil man, get those seals replaced and do a compression check to, and you're going to want to change those plugs again once you get the seals replaced and you stop burning oil.

vtec kick in?

Banned
its gonna lagg is a honda
having a fast import is like comin out of the closet , at first a few will be suprised but in the end your still gay

MrDaggs

Lol

its gonna lagg is a honda
having a fast import is like comin out of the closet , at first a few will be suprised but in the end your still gay
Haha look at this douche, too stupid to post anything else but his lame-ass comment OVER &OVER....He's probably still looking at this forum RIGHT NOW cuz he ain't got a life, and is waiting for one of his buddies to tell him another pathetic joke so he can create another account on CC and say nothing but that until he gets banned again...

:haha:

Sorry about that, just had to throw that out there...lol. Please, continue...

Yeah, you've probably got a leak in the seal with the cylinder wall and piston or some sort of other leak...Is it burning rich or anything? Sometimes if there's white/blue/black smoke coming out the exhaust, ur either burning oil or too much gasoline.

If you're burning a half quart every 200 miles then the loss of power is probably b/c the plugs are covered in oil man, get those seals replaced and do a compression check to, and you're going to want to change those plugs again once you get the seals replaced and you stop burning oil.
Yeah, they'll be shot after surviving that kind of abuse for that period of time. Try buying something that also add performance and fuel economy if your getting new plugs, like E3's or similar...

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its blue smoke so definatly oil. i do run rich from header, and exhaust and no cat converter.

right now my main concern is getting info on the products i listed. iv already come to the conclusion im gonna do a full top end gasket kit. i need to kno if i should go with head studs or head bolts for autox and dragging. also if anybody has used the gates water pump and tensioner if they are good or if i should just go oem.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i have used the gates water pump, tensioner, and timing belt they work great so far been roughly 2,000 miles since i swapped them in.

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
compression test showed the second cylinder was at 158ish psi.
all the others were 178-180. any ideas as to why that one cylinder is that low compared to the others? buddy says it could be one ring thats bad/

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any ideas? iv been told rings or possibly valves arent seated correctly.