2001 DX transmission woes

rick_it_2004

Hi Forum

I have a 2001 DX with a manual transmission and about 180K Km (or about 110K miles). The problems started with jumping out of fifth gear while driving, at the same time reverse became difficult to engage. I had the Honda dealer diagnose it, and they came back as a worn synchro on fifth. I chose to keep on driving the car and planned a transmission rebuild next spring. I haven't heard of a fifth gear syncho wearing first in a box before, usually the last gear to suffer, bu I know that the DX gearbox is a weak link.

However, this morning the car refused to go into any gear or even move across the gate in neutral. Using some force, I found that I could go from the right of the gate across to the left, but between 3rd/4th and 1st/2nd there was an obstruction. With the gear stick mobile again, I was able to go into 1st to 4th, but on trying to go into fifth the stick again stopped moving across the gate.

The cable connections to the gear selection forks on the gearbox are not frozen, so I am assuming there is something internal to the 'box that is causing the issues.

I would appreciate your opinions as to what might be the problem.

Regards, Richard

EatSleepJDM

I also have the same issue with my 02 civic, 5th just recently starting popping out by itself. Also my reverse is also becoming difficult, my car is at 175k miles at the moment. Going to do some work this weekend and try to figuere out if its the synchro aswell.

rick_it_2004

I also have the same issue with my 02 civic, 5th just recently starting popping out by itself. Also my reverse is also becoming difficult, my car is at 175k miles at the moment. Going to do some work this weekend and try to figuere out if its the synchro aswell.
I will be interested in what you find out. I figure I am going to have to pull the box, I have been told that by removing the oil pan the box can be dropped out of the bottom. I was considering a second hand replacement, but the cost of buying one is not far from the cost of having mine rebuilt by Mr Transmission. As it appears to be a common weakness on this model then gambling with a scrapper box doesn't make a lot of sense.

The other problem is my garage is currently occupied with a fiero and a MG Midget, so the last thing I needed was a third car up on blocks 8-(