d16a8 question

tip

what's up, i have a honda concerto with a d16a8 DOHC v-tec engine and 5 speed manual. i'd like to know if these engines can produce good power n/a??

my car is still completely stock if they do produce good power what kinda mods can i do on the car (cheap)??

JGvtec

The names Jordan
Cheap? Nothing really lol. If you want to feel a slight noticeable gain just do i/h/e.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what's up, i have a honda concerto with a d16a8 DOHC v-tec engine and 5 speed manual. i'd like to know if these engines can produce good power n/a??

my car is still completely stock if they do produce good power what kinda mods can i do on the car (cheap)??
the D16A8 DOHC engine is not a VTEC engine - it is basically the same as the JDM DOHC ZC - yes, you can make pretty good power with them n/a - since they start out with 25-30hp more than any SOHC non-VTEC D-series and a little more hp than any SOHC VTEC D-series, you have a pretty good base to start on - depends on how much money you want to spend on it - as stated above, first mods would be I/H/E - get a good free flowing exhaust that is about 58mm all the way to the back - after the I/H/E, you should look at getting different camshafts - beyond that, you are going to need internal mods

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's kind of an oddball motor so it might be hard to find parts for, looks like that engine bay needs a lot of cleaning up. I'd start with that.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
some people looking at the cylinder position sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft and seeing the word "TEC" think it is VTEC - "TEC" is the brand name of the cylinder position sensor manufactured by Toyo Denso Co. - has nothing to do with VTEC

tip

some people looking at the cylinder position sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft and seeing the word "TEC" think it is VTEC - "TEC" is the name of the manufacturer of the cylinder position sensor - has nothing to do with VTEC

yup that's what i tought.....
don't mind me ''Noob''

are these engines capable of making good power for street racing??

tip

It's kind of an oddball motor so it might be hard to find parts for, looks like that engine bay needs a lot of cleaning up. I'd start with that.
yup just bought the car from a friend,
so tomorrow i'm gonna start working on the car

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's kind of an oddball motor so it might be hard to find parts for.
parts are not hard to find, if you know where to look - essentially, all parts, except for timing gears, timing belt and timing belt cover, are the same as parts for a 88-89 Integra D16A1 or the 88-91 CRX/Civic D16A6 - everything above the top of the block, except for the head casting and valve cover, is the same as the D16A1 and everything below the top of the block, except the block itself, is the same as the D16A6 - the 88-89 D16A1 and 88-91 D16A6 do share some of the same parts like pistons, rods, water pump, some gaskets/seals and throttle body - the only real oddball part is the intake manifold as SOHC D-series manifolds will not work on the DOHC engine

tip

parts are not hard to find, if you know where to look - essentially, all parts, except for timing gears, timing belt and timing belt cover, are the same as parts for a 88-89 Integra D16A1 or the 88-91 CRX/Civic D16A6 - everything above the top of the block, except for the head casting, is the same as the D16A1 and everything below the top of the block, except the block itself, is the same as the D16A6 - the 88-89 D16A1 and 88-91 D16A6 do share some of the same parts like pistons, rods, water pump, some gaskets/seals and throttle body - the only real oddball part is the intake manifold as SOHC D-series manifolds will not work on the DOHC engine
Thanks for the info bud.