b18 swap

eg-asaurus

I got a 95 hatch and my buddy has a b18a1 he's gonna give me for pretty cheap being an older motor what all should I put on it befor I put it in my car I've heard water pump and timing belt but is there any internals that are a "must". I want it reliable and I want to do it right the first time but I am on a budget.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how many miles does it have? did your friend beat on it while he was using it? what is your budget? And yes do the timing belt and water pump cause it will be much easier while it is out of the car

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Oil is a must! eh you could always do a valve adjustment while its out since its an older engine.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Depends how well the motor was maintained by the previous owner. The less it was maintained, the more you should do. But there are basics you should cover.

eg-asaurus

Well he bought the car probably abouy 6 months ago so I'm not even sure its the original motor in the car but he drives like a grandma so not much wear there but as for the people before him I have no clue

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what cobl18 said, change the oil, take the valve cover off and inspect the valves, do a valve adjustment, while the cover is off look for deposits of sludge and s*** like that. do the timing belt, water pump and if the tune up hasn't been done in a while to that too. and if you want to once you get the engine installed you could run a can of seafoam through it

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Seafoam will clean all the nasty crap out of the engine and it's the one chance we get to black smoke bystanders :D