The dream that is about to come thru

Pjotter

So yeah,

New guy here saying hello and posting a little introduction.

I remember seeing an EP3 Civic Type R for the first time at a car show in Holland and thinking wow! When I grow up I'm definitely buying one of does! I only had money to buy a Type R cap back then. Still have that one laying around somewhere...
Now, a good 8 years later. I have a decant income and my first car (VW Plolo 6n2) is close of hitting his 200.000 And I'm thinking of fulfilling my "childhood" dream and actually buy a nice EP3.

Did some research an the prices look ok € 10.000 (german price) for a 2005 But its still a big pile of money So I want to make sure I'm having a good deal. When I find one. So my question is are there certain issues to look for when buying a EP3 Type R?

Also I never actually sit in one and I'm curious (seeing the fact that is a asian car) if I will fit with my almost 2m.

Greets from Holland btw. Hope my English is ok =)

Peter

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy your stay if you do decide to stay =) as far as reliability goes its a honda, I haven't heard of to many problems with them. and as far as fitting in it goes, I'm 6ft 4in tall (roughly 2m tall) and I fit with more than enough leg room in my ej8 and an ep3 is a little bit bigger so you should be just fine

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:!!! Your english is fine =).

As far as what to look for when buying a car, this goes for any car in general, just go over it. Look at the engine bay, underneath the car, etc. Ask the owner for any documentation regarding maintenance performed too. I personally write down everything I do to my car (date, mileage, and what's done). Any car can potentially last a long long time as long as it was well maintained.

Pjotter

@speedygonzales thanks, it's good to know someone close to 2m also can enjoy the civic. I did a test drive with one model earlier (for my first car) and that was also a surprisingly big car from the inside. To bad I didnt have the money to buy that one. And ended up buying the Polo I have today.

@JohnS Ok good =) Thanks for the tips. Will keep does I'm mind when it's time for the first check =)

Im currently looking at some 2nd hand car websites. Still in doubt if I'll be going for a pre facelift or the facelift. I like the clean style of the pre but the facelift one also is nice and is younger. Hope I'll be able to find one soon. My Polo is going for his yearly APK check and I'm not really sure if he will pas... Also living in Germany and having a car that max at 180 sucks :P Saw some specs and found out the Type R goes up to 235 =)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A Polo, cool. Post a pic, we don't get those in the US lol

Pjotter

Yesterday it had to get his APK... But it failed. 375 euro for breaks etc. BALLS! Well at least it's something I can sell with the car. New APK is always nice.

Pjotter

A litte update form my side, still looking for that one CTR on all the 2nd hand websites. And stil hoping I will find a 2005 one with less then 100.000 on the clock for a good price near by. Found one last week but that one is on the east side of Germany then you'll be looking at a 500 km drive just to get there. A bit much just to take a look :P Meanwhile the Polo is still going but the more I drive it the more I'm looking forward to buy a new car. It was a nice first car and all but the fact that there is like 2500 euro in it just on repair in it. Pisses me of. And it would be ok but it still runs like s*** when in stationary. The revs drop but the car is trying to keep it leveled which makes it go up down up down.... Most of the time I "overwrite" it buy just giving a bit more gas. >=)

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like idle problems, if you did own a civic there are plenty of people here (including myself) who know how to fix the roaming idle lol. Anyway good luck with the search, can't wait till you get the new EP3 eventually.

Pjotter

Sounds like idle problems, if you did own a civic there are plenty of people here (including myself) who know how to fix the roaming idle lol. Anyway good luck with the search, can't wait till you get the new EP3 eventually.

Any idea how to fix it on a VW Polo too? :P If I can fix it I could ask a couple bucks more when I sell it :D

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: from a fellow VW owner.

I don't know about over there but German cars here in the US have a ton of electrical issues. Is the check engine light on? Does it drive really rough?

Pjotter

:welcome: from a fellow VW owner.

I don't know about over there but German cars here in the US have a ton of electrical issues. Is the check engine light on? Does it drive really rough?
Yes and yes. The check light has been on as long as I have the car and the garage didn't know how to fix it. The VW dealer also didn't know. They offered to completely check the car ect. but didn't had and idea what the cost will be. At that point I decided f*ck it. I'll drive it like it is and that was 1,5 years ago. After that the EPC light has come on and off to but apart from rough driving it's ok. And although it only had 75ps with his 900kg it's a fun little car to play with =)

But I'm all ears when it comes to fixing it. My stepdad has a big personal garage where he fixes cars. He also has one of does devices that can read out the error and delete them but the check light has always come back.

Pjotter

okay so what is the error?

deleting the check engine light does not fix the issue
The error says that in the first cylinder the fuel / air mix is not "optimal". Below is a list of things exchanged / checked. It's in Dutch. Hope it makes some kind of sens...

Of course I know that turning the check light off doesn't fix it. ;) But we wanted to know if it's was something that would come back. Sometime the light goes out by itself but alway comes back on after a couple days.

Checked

• Maf sensor/inlaatlucht temp sensor (gecombineerd)
  • Timing distributie
  • Gasklephuis
  • Luchtlekkage inlaatspruitstuk (is er af geweest en d.m.v vacuum gecontroleerd)
  • EGR Klep
  • Koelvloeistof temp sensor
Exchanged

• Lamda Sensor
  • Uitlaat
  • Gasklephuis
  • Bobine

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not quite sure what some of the items are that you listed are. Did you check the individual coil pack for cylinder 1? I had them go bad on my R32 and my brother had a few go out on his GTI 1.8t. Try switching the first coil pack with another and see if the error follows. Also, have you replaced the sparkplugs?

Pjotter

Not quite sure what some of the items are that you listed are. Did you check the individual coil pack for cylinder 1? I had them go bad on my R32 and my brother had a few go out on his GTI 1.8t. Try switching the first coil pack with another and see if the error follows. Also, have you replaced the sparkplugs?
Yupe, we swapped the "bobine" (coil) but without result. Also all the spark plugs have been swapped.