Odd Suspension Problem. Bearings?

Kchur00

I'm having a problem and I cannot quite figure it out.

When I'm going 55 or above then have to brake the font end shimmies and shakes (sometimes hard) when it slows down to about 40 MPH then just stops, but then slightly shakes again around 20MPH then stops. The steering wheel shakes and it sounds as if some kind of quick thudding coming from the front tires.

I have replaced on both sides the CV axles and struts because they needed to be (boots were torn and struts were worn). The rotors and brake pads are new and smooth. It reduced the problem somewhat, but still occurs. The tires are also fairly new. I cannot see any damage anywhere. The ball joints look fine. The only thing I can think of is the bearings. There is a slight roar, but would it cause all the shaking as well?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is this problem only occuring when you brake? Or does it also happen while acceleration and/or turning?

Kchur00

I've never noticed the shaking occurring when I speed up on normal highway speeds, but on the interstate it does seem more unstable at speeds 80+ than it has it the past. Other than this it primarily occurs when I brake. There was a slight problem with turning but it seems to have been fixed when I replaced drive axles. It wasn't the usually clicking that a worn CV joint produces, it was more of a thumping sound.

SmArTs

check your bearings...raise the car and let the both front tires hanging and hold your tire three and nine and check if theres and play...if there is then your bearing is going bad and have to be replaced before it messes up your wheel hub

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check your bearings...raise the car and let the both front tires hanging and hold your tire three and nine and check if theres and play...if there is then your bearing is going bad and have to be replaced before it messes up your wheel hub
This! or 12 and 6

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm assuming this is on a 2000 Civic (going by the number in your username)?

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. Do the test mentioned above and do it to all 4 wheels while you're at it.

meek61480

98 civic hb b16a
wheel bearings usually wont cause a shake unless its really bad. could be a loose wheel....example is honda lug nuts mixed with aftermarket wheels.... or vice versa......nuts tend to back off. but it sounds like warped rotors to me....or as someone suggested inner or outer tied rods can do that too....bearings will usually make a low growling noise...very loudly on the freeway