bigger throttlebody

tip

hey, i'd just like to know if my friend is correct,
he says the bigger your throttle body (on a stock car) the better the performance.
is that true or ......

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Your friend is an idiot.

You can install a larger throttle body from an Integra if you please, but you wont notice anything.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Imagine sucking through a straw the correct size of your mouth..and one the size of your head. Your mouth is only so big such as your intake manifold so no matter how big a straw/throttle body the same amount of air is coming in. And don't forget a big throttle body might not even bolt on to a stock Intake manifold

emerican

Registered VIP
If you have a d series motor you can put a 60mm b seriies tbody on it, but you wont notice much if anything. To do it right youd either need to port match the stock intake mani at the least to match the tbody. or install a upgraded intake manifold.
Port matching is still a s**t solution since the runners and all will still be stock sized.

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
an aftermarket intake manifold and large throttle body on a NA engine with no internal modifications (otherwise stock) will result in a huge bogging problem at low to higher portion of the mid-range rpm - might make a little more power at wide open throttle in the upper rpm range - problem is that you can't run it at the very top of the rpm range all of the time - at lower rpm, it will get more air but the velocity of the airflow will be slowed way down and with the larger volume of air, it will just bog - in order to take advantage of the increase in air, you will need bigger camshaft(s) and probably higher compression ratio - if you get the air into the engine, you have to be able to do something with it

tip

Imagine sucking through a straw the correct size of your mouth..and one the size of your head. Your mouth is only so big such as your intake manifold so no matter how big a straw/throttle body the same amount of air is coming in. And don't forget a big throttle body might not even bolt on to a stock Intake manifold
man you're good!!

emerican

Registered VIP
Put the b thorttle on there and if you dont want to upgrade the intake mani at least port match the opening to the tbody

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oK thanks everyone, i'll just put the b throttle body on the car
the B-series throttle body will not bolt onto the D16A8 intake manifold - different bolt pattern - there are no larger throttle bodies that will bolt on - the best you can do is to have the throttle body bored out to 60mm and the intake manifold ported to match - still going to bog a little without different cams