supercharging d16 info?

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Hello cc. Im up in the air whether to turbo my stock d16y8 or supercharge it. Ive been researching the turbo for hours on end. I have tried doing the same for the s/c but am having lots of trouble. Plus I've been looking for them in general and can only find jackson racing. However they claim its only for a 99-00 si. As for complementing mods, i know header, intake, cat-back, stage 2 clutch, and flywheel.
ANY INFO PLEASE =)

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
as far as I'm aware. JR no longer makes em for a d series. Better start looking for a used one. also, dont forget you'll injectors and and a tune (which requires a chipped ecu minimum). And it's still forced induction, so you'll want to do a compression AND leakdown test and if you dont see good numbers, dont waste your time. You only want to boost a healthy motor unless you plan on swapping it VERY soon

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
as far as I'm aware. JR no longer makes em for a d series. Better start looking for a used one. also, dont forget you'll injectors and and a tune (which requires a chipped ecu minimum). And it's still forced induction, so you'll want to do a compression AND leakdown test and if you dont see good numbers, dont waste your time. You only want to boost a healthy motor unless you plan on swapping it VERY soon
Alright, i thought so, because even mossmotors who bought out jackson racings s/c rights. Good advice on the compression and leak test. Il defidently get one before i buy anything. never thought of that. my d only has 76xxx miles on it with all papers to prove it. Hopefully everything turns up good. Is there any other s/c out there for a d16? Thanks for your input btw

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
with 76k you should be good. I think i've heard of other suprchargers for d series, but all I've researched are the JRSC's. I was hoping to go SC'd.

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
I havent "not" gone S/C lol I've only had my civic for about 6 months and other priorities are coming first. I was doing a 350 hp turbo build on a DA but I ran out of time to finish before I had to start school again so I had to sell it

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
I havent "not" gone S/C lol I've only had my civic for about 6 months and other priorities are coming first. I was doing a 350 hp turbo build on a DA but I ran out of time to finish before I had to start school again so I had to sell it
ooooh haha that sucks... Thanks for some help though.
I may have to do turbo after all.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
supercharging and d16's dont go well..just go turbo

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
ooooh haha that sucks... Thanks for some help though.
I may have to do turbo after all.
its probably worth it. you'll make more power most likely (forced induction really needs some sort of air cooling and most people dont like fabbing up a top mount IC or ice box for SC's). and it will be relatively easier. there are a lot of kits that only need a few additional purchased parts to be literally just BOLT on (of course getting the car tuned isnt "bolting").

supercharging and d16's dont go well..just go turbo
proof? I know several people who successfully SC'd their d16a6, got 30+ mpg's, and were VERY happy with it.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got about 30mph with my 340 hp turbo civic..its just that supercharged d series are weak...proof? lets do a poll shall we? =)

all the money you spend on the supercharger kit you can piece together a turbo kit..if you REALLY want a supercharger on a d-series you can, its just that you'll get better results with a turbo kit..

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
prepare to spend in the realm of 2k for 160-170whp

no one makes a large displacement s/c for a d series or b series(or even k series for that matter), all large displacement aftermarket ones spin clockwise. Hondas spin counterclockwise so the few that were made for hondas are hard to come by and were small because of our small displacement. Its like slapping on a turbo smaller than a jdm coin purse

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
i got about 30mph with my 340 hp turbo civic..its just that supercharged d series are weak...proof? lets do a poll shall we? =)

all the money you spend on the supercharger kit you can piece together a turbo kit..if you REALLY want a supercharger on a d-series you can, its just that you'll get better results with a turbo kit..
you can piece together a GOOD reliable turbo kit for less than 2k? I had OVER 2k invested in buying parts off of craigslist and i didnt even have a decent turbo after that.

prepare to spend in the realm of 2k for 160-170whp

no one makes a large displacement s/c for a d series or b series(or even k series for that matter), all large displacement aftermarket ones spin clockwise. Hondas spin counterclockwise so the few that were made for hondas are hard to come by and were small because of our small displacement. Its like slapping on a turbo smaller than a jdm coin purse

true, however the power band of s/c's is smoother. no boost lag. (well a lot less). and you can get higher with 2k. a ground cam isnt much and you can make a good bit more power. i'd say probably 200ish with injectors, a cam, 6 pound pulley, and bolt ons.

yes, turbo will gain you more power easier. and yes you should probably go turbo. you need a good reason to go s/c or find a good deal on used JRSC. My reason for wanting to s/c is theres a lot less work involved over all. no I/C piping runing all over the place. no welding of stuff to mount the I/C. No custom fabrication of downpipe or dumptube necessary. saves space in your engine bay.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you can piece together a GOOD reliable turbo kit for less than 2k? I had OVER 2k invested in buying parts off of craigslist and i didnt even have a decent turbo after that.
Yessir. Assuming that you're not counting the costs of tuning you most definitely can.

yes, turbo will gain you more power easier. and yes you should probably go turbo. you need a good reason to go s/c or find a good deal on used JRSC. My reason for wanting to s/c is theres a lot less work involved over all. no I/C piping runing all over the place. no welding of stuff to mount the I/C. No custom fabrication of downpipe or dumptube necessary. saves space in your engine bay.
My IC is "mounted" with zipties :lol:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

of course you can!
i pieced together my kit for less than that..all quality parts and all the parts that could be made were custom made for me such as the manifold, dumptube, downpipe, and all piping.

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
you guys must get some crazy deals. I spent 500 alone on my manifold, downpipe and turbo, then about 200 on IC piping and IC, 175 on my wastegate, 125 on my BOV, 450 on a s200 in a p28, 75 on oem tapped pan,another 400 on RC's and a wide band and fuel rail, still needed exhaust, a bov flange, dump tube, oil line and fittings, vaccuum manifold, and plenty of other stuff.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
I am just trying to get as much information about all ways i can go. Thank you all for input! And as far a peicing together a full turbo kit, Im still new with turbos.. so to peice together a kit fully would be very difficult. if anyone could make a checklist for me it'd be greatly appreciated. I know id need a manifold, bov, wastegate, turbo, FMIC+pipes, downpipe, ummm... alot is missing i know. My point actually. The supercharger seems like it would be more reliable as a daily highway driver. Thank you all

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
manifold, BOV, dump tube, wastegate, down pipe, IC, IC piping, air filter, injectors, adjustable oil pressure regulator (not required but a good idea), oil lines, oil fittings, tapped oil pan, vacuum manifold (good idea), boost gauge, air fuel ratio gauge, oil pressure gauge, oil filter sandwich plate, exhaust, chipped ecu, a tune, and adjustable cam gears are a good idea if you have a GOOD tuner or someone helping you out that will know how to retard or advance your exhaust cam to help build a little better exhaust pressure. Its a minor thing and can harm your motor if done wrong but its also an easy way to pick up some HP if its done correctly. and if your doing ALL that, you might as well get a stage 1 turbo cam or have a stock cam ground. for the price, I think its worth it

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
manifold, BOV, dump tube, wastegate, down pipe, IC, IC piping, air filter, injectors, adjustable oil pressure regulator (not required but a good idea), oil lines, oil fittings, tapped oil pan, vacuum manifold (good idea), boost gauge, air fuel ratio gauge, oil pressure gauge, oil filter sandwich plate, exhaust, chipped ecu, a tune, and adjustable cam gears are a good idea if you have a GOOD tuner or someone helping you out that will know how to retard or advance your exhaust cam to help build a little better exhaust pressure. Its a minor thing and can harm your motor if done wrong but its also an easy way to pick up some HP if its done correctly. and if your doing ALL that, you might as well get a stage 1 turbo cam or have a stock cam ground. for the price, I think its worth it
Alright thanks man, I'l start looking into it. Thanks alot! Is there anything to avoid for sure? Brands or anything. Thanks, and how would a crower 404 cam be? I love the idle it produces. haha

nathan_carmona

Registered VIP
the 404 cam is no longer in production as far as I'm aware. I think you have to contact them and have a cam ground to those specs. I was told they arent selling them as regular production cams anymore. also, its rated for WAY more horsepower than what you want. also, IDK if the 404 is made for a d series. and its an n/a cam. in a b series, you can degree the cams and it makes for a great boost cam but you have to have someone who knows what their doing. and stay away from ebay kits. Precision, inline pro, turbonetics, garret, tial, turbosmart, hks, greddy, and bisimoto all make boost related parts and they are hi quality, in boost applications, you get what you pay for pretty much always