overheating in traffic. Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaLostONE69

5+ Year Member
Driving 99 coupe d16y8

So I recently noticed that after sitting in stop and go traffic my thermostat says I'm running hot almost reaching the top white line but never to it and definitely not in the red. As soon as I start moving again the thermostat drops back down to normal temp. So my question is what's causing it to act like this and what are some possible ways to fix the problem.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should run your car and see if the fan is turning on or not. sounds like it isn't turning on while you're sitting still

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For sure it sounds like the coolant fan is not kicking on.
For the time being, also try running your heat on high if you ever are caught sitting in traffic, that will help a little.

The_OfficialDom

i had the same problem. its could be a number of problems such as the thermostat, the fan switch, or the fan itself. try changing out the thermostat first. let the car run with the hood open and see if the fan on the passenger side turns on when it heats up. if it turns on but notice you are still having problems with overheating in traffic, change the fan switch located in the thermostat housing.

DaLostONE69

5+ Year Member
I just got hhome from work and with my engine being at normal operating temperature my fan didn't kick on. So I'm assuming that mean either the switch or relay is bad?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd check the fuse to start that's the easiest to fix

DaLostONE69

5+ Year Member
Am I understanding it right the fan should kick on even at normal temp? Or just when it's outside of normal temperature range.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It kicks on when the temp switch tells it to. Generally when the gauge is about halfway.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
The problem you are faceing has happened to me before.. ended up being a fan switch. Here is how to check:

1. Make sure the keys are off

2. Pop the hood and locate the fan switch ( mine is a 7th gen so it is on the front of the motor , as your is on the back by the intake manifold.
Top View :

Side View:

3. Remove the fan switch terminal ( Red) By pressing in on the relase tab ( Yellow) and pulling out.

4. This is what you have... now take the jumper ( any piece of small wire would do such as speacker wire)

And place the wire into the two terminals :

to

After this you can turn the ignition of the car to ON ( ii) and the fans should start up... If not you should check the fan switch fuse/ relay, if both check out you need to look at the fan it's self.

Assuming the fans start up you will need a new fan switch... since you already know where it is located you need to replace it..

1. make sure the car is cold and has been siting for atleast 2-3 hours.
2. slowly release pressure out of the system via the radiator cap( otherwise you will pull the switch and coolant will go EVERYWHERE!)
3. remove the fan switch terminal and use either a 24mm (or equvevilant) deep socket ratchet , or wrench. ( you might want to put something under the thermostat housing to avoid excessive coolant spillage)
4. replace with a new fan switch
5. put switch teminal back on.

* NOTE* you will need to bleed the cooling system, so park the car on a inclined driveway ( front up ) ... If no driveway is available you can use ramps. Then open the radiator cap and fill the system up with coolant... loosly place the radiator cap back on and idle the car untill the motor has reached normal operating temp, turn the car off and put more coolant in if needed. Finally place the radiatior cap back on and take the car for a test run just to make sure it doesnt overheat again.

DaLostONE69

5+ Year Member
Again @taluzer45 thank for the write up it made jumping the fan switch easy to understand. Thanks again

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Again @taluzer45 thank for the write up it made jumping the fan switch easy to understand. Thanks again
No problem! And My fan would kick in but only after the Temp gauge was on bust, and she was severly overheated! ( which I ran a major risk of warping a head!) :D

DaLostONE69

5+ Year Member
No problem! And My fan would kick in but only after the Temp gauge was on bust, and she was severly overheated! ( which I ran a major risk of warping a head!) :D
Same here I got my new switch ow I just have to put in it and bleed the radiator

camilo

The problem you are faceing has happened to me before.. ended up being a fan switch. Here is how to check:

1. Make sure the keys are off

2. Pop the hood and locate the fan switch ( mine is a 7th gen so it is on the front of the motor , as your is on the back by the intake manifold.
Top View :

Side View:

3. Remove the fan switch terminal ( Red) By pressing in on the relase tab ( Yellow) and pulling out.

4. This is what you have... now take the jumper ( any piece of small wire would do such as speacker wire)

And place the wire into the two terminals :

to

After this you can turn the ignition of the car to ON ( ii) and the fans should start up... If not you should check the fan switch fuse/ relay, if both check out you need to look at the fan it's self.

Assuming the fans start up you will need a new fan switch... since you already know where it is located you need to replace it..

1. make sure the car is cold and has been siting for atleast 2-3 hours.
2. slowly release pressure out of the system via the radiator cap( otherwise you will pull the switch and coolant will go EVERYWHERE!)
3. remove the fan switch terminal and use either a 24mm (or equvevilant) deep socket ratchet , or wrench. ( you might want to put something under the thermostat housing to avoid excessive coolant spillage)
4. replace with a new fan switch
5. put switch teminal back on.

* NOTE* you will need to bleed the cooling system, so park the car on a inclined driveway ( front up ) ... If no driveway is available you can use ramps. Then open the radiator cap and fill the system up with coolant... loosly place the radiator cap back on and idle the car untill the motor has reached normal operating temp, turn the car off and put more coolant in if needed. Finally place the radiatior cap back on and take the car for a test run just to make sure it doesnt overheat again.

hey i have my fan on all the time but still over heats and i changed the sensor and thermostat i switched it to the sensor car was overheating faster so i switched it back to on all the time fan seem likes is working well
but in traffic or in a red light car over heats ...the fan never stops i checked.....it over heats but never to the h..but 3/4..
should i change the fan?

camilo

hey i have my fan on all the time but still over heats and i changed the sensor and thermostat i switched it to the sensor car was overheating faster so i switched it back to on all the time fan seem likes is working well
but in traffic or in a red light car over heats ...the fan never stops i checked.....it over heats but never to the h..but 3/4..
should i change the fan?

camilo

should i change the fan?Honda civic lx 2000

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
should i change the fan?Honda civic lx 2000
This thread is from 2012. For better response, please create your own thread in the appropriate section. The more detailed the better. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.