How To: 96-98 EK Manual Climate swap to 99-00 EK Electronic **

Ek9Xpl

I'm doin a jdm ek9 climate control swap and i'm just completing all the necessary hardware to make it work properly. My only problem is the hazard switch wiring which everyone tells me i have to rewire. any one can help me out on this?

KleinMein

Hello guys.
I know this is a dead thread, but some people (like me when I was searching) might need to find some answers.
I have made the complete swap. I kept my 96-98 dash with its harness, and changed the heater harness, with the 99-00 one. Changed the transistor of the blower motor, and I didn't had to change the whole heater core. Just one piece of metal and the electronic motor on the bottom of the core. The problems I found was two.
One is the new hazard switch, that doesn't work. In USDM cars it might work, but in mine (European model) didn't work. Finally after some research in the service manual of the car, I found out that the pin layout differs. So I made one new plug and made the correct connections.
Second was that the new console didn't fit in the old dash. So I had to dremel some plastic parts of the dash, to sit the console right in. But still the console is not secured, I mean it is not screwed on to the dash. As I saw some pictures of the 99-00 dash I found out that there is some metal parts that my dash doesnt have them..So I think I must make some metal parts on my own, to fit them in, and to secure the console properly...
If I can help anyone let me know!

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice, was actually looking at this thread recently...planning on doing it soon!
Thanks, I'll be sure to pm you with any questions.

ally138

I just done this and it is very simple but takes a lot of time! the two hoses do take a bit to yank off but i'm happy with the result. I still dont understand the wiring for the defrost like what needs to be cut and soldered together. need pics for that lol.

KleinMein

I just done this and it is very simple but takes a lot of time! the two hoses do take a bit to yank off but i'm happy with the result. I still dont understand the wiring for the defrost like what needs to be cut and soldered together. need pics for that lol.
What dash did you use? The old one (96-98)? Or the new one(99-00)??
If you used the old one:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2320558

check this thread and the 2 last pictures is what you need to do. The first plug (little green) is the old plug that plugs into the defrost switch of the old climate console.(now it plugs nowhere) The second big blue plug is infront of the heater

If you used the new dash:
You should tap the wire of the second picture (blue plug) to the same color wire of the big green plug that sits on the fuse box. You should search the wires a little bit. I dont know if this big green plug is infront of the fuse box or from behind, as I did the whole conversion with the old dash, so I followed the fist way!

ally138

What dash did you use? The old one (96-98)? Or the new one(99-00)??
If you used the old one:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2320558

check this thread and the 2 last pictures is what you need to do. The first plug (little green) is the old plug that plugs into the defrost switch of the old climate console.(now it plugs nowhere) The second big blue plug is infront of the heater

If you used the new dash:
You should tap the wire of the second picture (blue plug) to the same color wire of the big green plug that sits on the fuse box. You should search the wires a little bit. I dont know if this big green plug is infront of the fuse box or from behind, as I did the whole conversion with the old dash, so I followed the fist way!
i took out my 96 dash and used the 00 dash from an rx ek9. my car is a UKDM RHD though, does this make any difference? also thanks for the info!

ally138

anyone able to help me on this one? my old defroster plug is not green but shows similar wires. so i'm assuming its the same. so the blue and yellow wires. go into the baby blue loom. but which one? the one that goes into the heater? the one that goes from the climate control itself?i guess it would be the same anyway right?

thanks

KleinMein

anyone able to help me on this one? my old defroster plug is not green but shows similar wires. so i'm assuming its the same. so the blue and yellow wires. go into the baby blue loom. but which one? the one that goes into the heater? the one that goes from the climate control itself?i guess it would be the same anyway right?

thanks
Doesn't what Chameleon says help?

"i just installed an entire 99 dash into my friends 97 ek hatch, when i say complete its complete with vents climate and 99 harness in it. now weather you use your own 96-98 dash harness or the 99 it dont matter BUT to get the rear defroster working you need to tap a wire (baby blue with a yellow stripe) from the big plug that sits in front of the heater core and tap that into the baby blue with yellow stripe wire on the big green plug thats in front of the fuse box, the wire is at the end of the plug next to a green wire. once u do that you will see your relay click."

Here is the compare of the old and new plug that goes to the heater core.
http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/erik/album106/album228/SANY0864.jpg.html
This top right cable needs to be tapped. Now from what I can understand of Chameleon's words, you must try to find a same color cable in the fuse box (green big plug) and tap it together.

KleinMein

From the service manual:

here is the view of the fusebox.
http://s8.postimage.org/czikqiwat/fusebox.jpg
It must be on the up-center. C912 is the female plug on the fusebox. You must tap the wire of the male plug (C501). If the plug is not green (as your old defogger switch was different color), nevermind, try to find the color of the wire.

This is the big green plug infront of the fusebox. Pin 8 is what you need!
http://s8.postimage.org/497dznd79/Image_1.jpg

ally138

Here is the compare of the old and new plug that goes to the heater core.
http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/erik/album106/album228/SANY0864.jpg.html
This top right cable needs to be tapped. Now from what I can understand of Chameleon's words, you must try to find a same color cable in the fuse box (green big plug) and tap it together.
hmmm neither of them match my looms what so ever. but that blue one does show. maybe because i'm using the jdm loom from the ek9 Rx... hmmm, i guess it's just the same as it's just that blue wire anyway! thanks for the help

greencivicbob

TheGuyWithTheGreenCivic
Did this conversion....it was a beezy, haven't done the defroster part yet though and I used a 99-00 dash since I am converting all my interior to dark grey. honestly I would rather buy a 99-00 si and put a 98spec front end on it than do this. lol but overall im super happy with the outcome, looks way better than those ugly single dins with cable sliders. looking forward to getting a double din touch screen with nav.

bmxfreekonwheel

so in theory, if i have bought the 99-00 bezel with all the parts in it (climate control, hazards, double to single din), the wiring harness, and the motor to change the vents, all i need is the relay, the transistor, and the center vents right?? i keep reading all different stuff. some say swap it all, some say just swap the heater box, some say dont swap anything but the transistor and relay... any feedback is welcomed... i really want this swap so i can finally upgrade to the double din radio. flip outs go bad and clover the vents and dont have as many features as the double din ones too. i bought to bezel in perfect condition at the salvage (brand new to the lot wrecked civic) and took the wiring harness out of it while i was there but the guy that was taking parts just before me took the heater box or else i would of had that part and just swapped it instead of asking...

JGUSH

very good write up however all this is not nessisary, you dont need the heater from the 99+ you only need a few brackets, you dont need to remove the dash.

in all it took me about 2 hours to do the swap, which was easier than putting on my exhaust.

all you need from a 99+ are
climate controls
99+ harness for climate control
12v relay
the bottom of the blower motor (which unscrews in about 3 seconds)
a few brackets and the electronic heater levers, which all BOLT RIGHT IN! so we need to spread the work that this is a plug and play mod....i did this all in about 2 hours.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but any info would help I have a 99 climate control with the main harness on it with all the knobs etc. So all I would have to grab is the heater motor which you said was 3 bolts? And what brackets are you talking about I have no ac so I dony need to worry about that thanks

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk