superhead's super-slow wagovan build

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I've been a member here a while, but have just mainly lurked and followed some build threads like CHILD's and TigBitties. I have a 2000 VSM EX coupe that I've had for almost a year now. I've seen some pretty clean EKs, and I don't dislike them, I just never really fell in love with the car. One problem was too many little issues that I didn't really feel like spending the money to fix. Anyway, a super clean '91 wagon popped up on my local CL, and I've really liked them for a while, so I went to check it out. Here are some pics:

It's in amazing shape for it's age and the fact that it's a Honda. I'm the third owner. First owner was an old guy, and the guy I bought it from was in his late twenties and took meticulous care of it, since he's a Honda guy and he knew the value of the car. It's a 5 speed, and unfortunately it's not the 4wd wagon, but hey you can't get everything. When I went to check it out it had been sitting outside for a while, and it wouldn't start. I called up a shop that had serviced it and they said it was probably the main relay. I went back a little later and it started and I drove it around a bit and loved it. I started googling and it turns out the main relay going bad is a common issue in EFs. I told the guy I'd buy it, and then went to oreilley's and grabbed a replacement relay. Picked it up the next day, drove it home, replaced the relay, and she's golden. Only other real issue is that the rear control arm bushings need replaced at some point. I'm kind of in a pickle on what to do for wheels. The wheels on it now have almost new tires, but they're 14s. I have ls meshies on my EK that I was gonna put on the wagon, but they're 15s, and the tires need replacing pretty soon. I'd rather be able to swap the new tires over to different wheels as that will be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new tires. I almost forgot, the seller also threw in the original wheels from the car, which are in pretty decent shape, but the tires on them need replacement, and they're 13s.

Anyway, I bought the car for $2500, and I'm hoping to sell the EK for like $3500-ish. Hopefully I'll have enough money left over for some coilovers, or wheels, or both possibly. I've looked around for 14 inch wheels, and the only wheels I saw in my brief search were SSR classics, which I think would look nice. I also thought maybe some Ronal Turbos or even some Vette Sawblades might look good on it, but I haven't looked into sizes on those.

So, TL;DR, I got me a sweet shuttle and since I'm a broke college student it's gonna be a slow build, but I'd like to at least get some wheels and coilovers on it in the near future.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good find! And everyone has their own style, but in my opinion Vette wheels just wouldn't look right on it. Saw 2 different mkIII golfs at that show running Vette wheels, and just looked odd on the older chassis. BTW, also have a pic of a white wagovan they had there. If only I could figure out how to load it from my computer...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ronal turbos...

Sexiest wheels ever...

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Ok, I THINK I figured out how to post the image...

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tonal turbos...

Sexiest wheels ever...
Ronal.. but I totally agree. Thought real hard about getting those for my 91, there's a guy on here that has them on his red SiR and they look really, really nice.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ronal.. but I totally agree. Thought real hard about getting those for my 91, there's a guy on here that has them on his red SiR and they look really, really nice.
Stupid iphone...

I fat fingered it

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Woah. Sudden flood of posts lol. I saw a pic of a wagovan on chromed sawblades and thought it looked pretty good. They were this style sawblades:

Not this style:

I would attach the pic of the wagovan but it's blocked at work. I like my wheel options for the wagovan. I feel they're broader than my EK. Wagovans can pull off old-school JDM wheels but they can also pull off more Euro style wheels as well. Only thing that sucks is that I'm going from a car with a huge aftermarket to a car with like no aftermarket. It's ok though, because I love the car. I just can't wait to drive it every day lol.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just as long as u dont put those ridiculously overpriced ugly heavy diamond racing steelies on it. Then ur all good in the hood :thumbs up

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol... I don't think I ever even considered those. If I wanted to do that I'd just paint my current steelies white and call it a day. I've also considered work equip 03s or one of their knockoffs. Image wheels has some cool ones I've considered. I found those thanks to TigBitties build thread. Coilovers should probably come first though. Nothing looks weirder than a 4x4 on nice wheels.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree regarding the blades. The first pic (with the downy) looks better than the vette wheels. They remind me of the 1st gen Integra wheels. My Bro in law has a first gen Teg that we painted the OEM blades to match (white car, white wheels). The 1st gen teg also used the 4x100, in 14 inch (not sure of the offset, maybe +20?)

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree regarding the blades. The first pic (with the downy) looks better than the vette wheels. They remind me of the 1st gen Integra wheels. My Bro in law has a first gen Teg that we painted the OEM blades to match (white car, white wheels). The 1st gen teg also used the 4x100, in 14 inch (not sure of the offset, maybe +20?)
I'll have to take a look. Gotta sell my old car and get coilovers first.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Posted for updates. At first I thought wagons were ugly as hell, but as I've seen them more Im starting to dig them. Nice pickup.

Sent from my Galaxy S-Triple

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haha, thanks. So far everyone likes it except my fiance and my brother. I'm visiting my fiance right now, but when I get home I'm gonna put my old car up for sale and hopefully get coilovers. I'm leaning towards some f&f type 1s since jhpusa has a pretty decent deal on them. I'm not 100% sure though since nobody really makes coilovers specifically for wagons that I know of. As far as I know to make the car sit even you've gotta put the rears all the way down and the fronts almost all the way up since the wagon suspension is a little different than the rest of the EFs.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

both of these guys are running f&f type 1s, so it looks like I've got a little room for adjustment. I personally would probably go with the first setup

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Theyre adjustable so u can run both setups lol