New Members Section: Potential New Rules

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think this thread is starting to get a little hostile... Maybe it's just me.

Guys, the enemies are not each other, the enemies are the ones who can't speak properly. f**k em, f**k em all! Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!

If you just delete people's posts because it doesn't follow proper grammar, a lot of members are not coming back to rewrite that post.

Maybe we could get a sample thread / post that shows what we look for from users looking to ask technical questions and this way they can get an idea of what we are for a little better than the pissing in the wind we get now. I mean, chances are that they will read it same as everything else, but s**t, what can it hurt?

As far as how to funnel new members through the proper channels to ensure they are as CC post friendly as can be? Got me. I had an idea I posted, but I'm having trouble beyond that. It's not something that can be done easily I'm sure. Not without stepping on toes...

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I think this thread is starting to get a little hostile... Maybe it's just me.

Guys, the enemies are not each other, the enemies are the ones who can't speak properly. f*** em, f*** em all! Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!

If you just delete people's posts because it doesn't follow proper grammar, a lot of members are not coming back to rewrite that post.

Maybe we could get a sample thread / post that shows what we look for from users looking to ask technical questions and this way they can get an idea of what we are for a little better than the pissing in the wind we get now. I mean, chances are that they will read it same as everything else, but s***, what can it hurt?

As far as how to funnel new members through the proper channels to ensure they are as CC post friendly as can be? Got me. I had an idea I posted, but I'm having trouble beyond that. It's not something that can be done easily I'm sure. Not without stepping on toes...
I like hostility, not much going on here as it is.

Anyway, some sites make you look at an announcement before you can view the rest of the site. Would work well with newbies as it can include an example of a proper tech post (or for sale ad) and what to expect if you deviate from that.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wish I could remember why we don't do that, but I can't. I know we discussed this a couple of years back (having a forced intro post), and maybe even implemented it for a while. I don't remember if we ultimately decided against it because it because it A) turned members away, B) was clicked through without being read, or C) had some other issue that Justin mentioned (more technical). I doubt I'll ever find that post in the mod lounge, but I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The tech section is not why people stick around.......
This may very well be true, but I can bet a good guess that it is what brought most of the members here. I can also bet that being the tech sections are what brought them here, you aren't going to get them to stay if you jump down their case on something as trivial as grammar.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I am annoyed at it as much as you guys are. I just know that jumping down someone's case about it isn't going to solve the problem. Neither is telling them how they need to formulate their sentences. Dude, if they are here with run on sentences, bad spelling, and terrible grammar they aren't going to likely change. If they aren't worried about it from the start, they aren't going to listen to some guys they don't even know telling them how they should or shouldn't do something. Look at kallihissle (sp?). He or she, no one was able to determine. What a nightmare to weed through those posts. Bad spelling, poor grammar, the works. Was ragged on about it and it never stopped. For the most part it even got worse.

Where did I say they just remove posts? I suggested they shouldn't be allowed post if they don't read the rules, and not b**** afterward when they get their s*** jumped.

G2IC will delete your for sale ad if it is not in the correct format. It has even happened to me personally because I forgot to put FS or MS (my current location).

It scares me to see that you think I would try to change how people speak. I understand there are language barriers and I work with them to the best of my abilities. It's those that you can not even read to begin with, solid brick walls of words that we have to weed through to even understand what someone is trying to say etc.
My apologies. I read it in one of the posts. Said something like, "all threads/posts that aren't proper will be removed without warning" or something like that. I thought you said it.

Deleting a sale ad in the wrong format is something completely different than removing one because of poor grammar and bad spelling. If that isn't what you are getting at, I am sorry and I am reading you wrong.

We remove ads here that don't follow format to save buyer's butts from deadbeat no post sellers. We ask them to follow the format first and then delete the ad if they don't comply. Again, this is different than removing a tech thread just because they don't care to formulate correct and easily legible paragraphs and sentences.

That is exactly it. With forums the way they are and as easily accessible now, I would bet that a lot of people put their questions out of multiple ones. I know I do when I have a question. That is what brought me here in the first place, this was the forum that responded with the better atmosphere. From that it kept me coming. HT was one of the other forums that I put my question on and they were dicks and I have never looked at the site again other than to get info and move one. Never posted again though.

When they get a hostile introduction from the members for what ever reason it may be, they go to one of the other forums that are nicer to them or don't give a s**t that they are talking in run on sentences. Same thing as a business. When you go to buy something, are you going to buy it from the guy that tells you that your pants shouldn't be hanging off your ass and your hat shouldn't be backwards or from the guy that just gets you what you want. Would you return to the first guy or the second one.

I like hostility, not much going on here as it is.

Anyway, some sites make you look at an announcement before you can view the rest of the site. Would work well with newbies as it can include an example of a proper tech post (or for sale ad) and what to expect if you deviate from that.
That works for the PC side of the site, but unfortunately does nothing for the mass majority of people on through mobile apps like tapatalk. No announcements from what I have seen.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
This may very well be true, but I can bet a good guess that it is what brought most of the members here. I can also bet that being the tech sections are what brought them here, you aren't going to get them to stay if you jump down their case on something as trivial as grammar.

Don't get me wrong, like I said I am annoyed at it as much as you guys are. I just know that jumping down someone's case about it isn't going to solve the problem. Neither is telling them how they need to formulate their sentences. Dude, if they are here with run on sentences, bad spelling, and terrible grammar they aren't going to likely change. If they aren't worried about it from the start, they aren't going to listen to some guys they don't even know telling them how they should or shouldn't do something. Look at kallihissle (sp?). He or she, no one was able to determine. What a nightmare to weed through those posts. Bad spelling, poor grammar, the works. Was ragged on about it and it never stopped. For the most part it even got worse.

My apologies. I read it in one of the posts. Said something like, "all threads/posts that aren't proper will be removed without warning" or something like that. I thought you said it.

Deleting a sale ad in the wrong format is something completely different than removing one because of poor grammar and bad spelling. If that isn't what you are getting at, I am sorry and I am reading you wrong.

We remove ads here that don't follow format to save buyer's butts from deadbeat no post sellers. We ask them to follow the format first and then delete the ad if they don't comply. Again, this is different than removing a tech thread just because they don't care to formulate correct and easily legible paragraphs and sentences.

That is exactly it. With forums the way they are and as easily accessible now, I would bet that a lot of people put their questions out of multiple ones. I know I do when I have a question. That is what brought me here in the first place, this was the forum that responded with the better atmosphere. From that it kept me coming. HT was one of the other forums that I put my question on and they were dicks and I have never looked at the site again other than to get info and move one. Never posted again though.

When they get a hostile introduction from the members for what ever reason it may be, they go to one of the other forums that are nicer to them or don't give a s*** that they are talking in run on sentences. Same thing as a business. When you go to buy something, are you going to buy it from the guy that tells you that your pants shouldn't be hanging off your ass and your hat shouldn't be backwards or from the guy that just gets you what you want. Would you return to the first guy or the second one.

That works for the PC side of the site, but unfortunately does nothing for the mass majority of people on through mobile apps like tapatalk. No announcements from what I have seen.

With respect, I think you have it backwards. They want something from us for free, we aren't getting paid to help these people. We are doing them a favor and none of them seem to understand that.

Also, the announcements on this site aren't advertised like they are on other sites. So even on the PC side you wouldn't see it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With respect, I think you have it backwards. They want something from us for free, we aren't getting paid to help these people. We are doing them a favor and none of them seem to understand that.

Also, the announcements on this site aren't advertised like they are on other sites. So even on the PC side you wouldn't see it.
Confused? Should we start charging? Just because it is free information, that still doesn't mean we have the right to tell them how they should formulate their sentences. Same thing applies. They will just move on to a site that doesn't harass them about it.

What do you mean by advertising announcements, I guess I am confused there as well? I have never seen any other sites do it outside of like how we do it here where it is big and bold colorful font at the top of the section headers.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Another thing about this site in its prime - Nobody talked about giving advice like it was providing a service. All it was was friends helping friends...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Another thing about this site in its prime - Nobody talked about giving advice like it was providing a service. All it was was friends helping friends...
:werd:

One of my good friends I actually met on here. He helped me with 95% of the engine work done to Gertrude. Just two weeks ago I was hanging out at a Dave and Busters with some buddies of mine and him and his son. Ryan, I summon you... :lol:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:werd:

One of my good friends I actually met on here. He helped me with 95% of the engine work done to Gertrude. Just two weeks ago I was hanging out at a Dave and Busters with some buddies of mine and him and his son. Ryan, I summon you... :lol:
90% of (what little) the friends I have, I've met BECAUSE of Civics, and just cars in general. If it was for ClubCivic, and Shaun needing suspension installed last minute one random ass weekend, I wouldn't have a legit friend (one, if not, THE, only one).

Back then, I was around because I was into working on my car, and helping others who were doing the same. In the process of being nice, humble, and helpful, I've gained friends in the process. One of the reasons I'm not around on here at all anymore, is 1)because I now suddenly have a life, and 2)I just don't have the tolerance for the noobies who just straight up REFUSE to do the research that I, as a noobie, had to do in order to find the solution to my problems. Back then, you couldn't just start a new thread, and be like "I want 400hp with my D15b7. What do I need? I need it in list form, with the expected price to pay for each service and part...I refuse to search and since it's not helpful, do not tell me to search and research."

I would LOVE to be a much more active member like I used to be...but between having a kid now, and having a girlfriend (one I actually ENJOY spending time with), I just don't have time. Hell, I need to do work to my CR-V and I just haven't cared to because I'd rather spend my free time with my son and girlfriend...

/rant

Oh, and it's ok Shaun. Lauren, my girlfriend, wasn't there...unless you just categorized her under the "buddies" category....in which case... f you. :lol:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Confused? Should we start charging? Just because it is free information, that still doesn't mean we have the right to tell them how they should formulate their sentences. Same thing applies. They will just move on to a site that doesn't harass them about it.

What do you mean by advertising announcements, I guess I am confused there as well? I have never seen any other sites do it outside of like how we do it here where it is big and bold colorful font at the top of the section headers.
It helps US to help THEM. If someone wants me to help them fix their car over the internet the least they can do is give us every piece of info they can in the most clear and precise manner (as possible).

On G2IC, if there is an announcement that the mods need to get across to everyone (say the site will be down or there is a change in the rules), when you log in it will take you to a screen with something along the lines of

"The moderator or site administration would like you to read a thread before continuing to the forums"

Followed by a link to that thread, once you have clicked it you can go about your business.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That would be a nice feature. I'd like to keep tabs on that one (as well as the make members post an intro thread when they have 0 post count). I'll have to talk to Justin and see if it's doable.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There have been many points supporting and opposing my suggestions, and far too many comments I couldve quoted, so here are my summarized responses.

Tapatalk Issues - I personally have never used it in large part because I dont see the point of having it. I access the website just fine on my mobile devices so the added Tapatalk cost seems totally unjustifiable. In all honesty, the more comments I hear about the App the less I see any benefit to it. If the app cant recognize anything but basic text then its even more important to use more visually appealing structure and concise wording along with font & color usage to make the site App user friendly and non-App user friendly.

Grammar, Spelling, Punctuations, etc - I do not expect or support any idea to force perfect literary competency. What we need is a simple highlighted statement respectfully ENCOURAGING members to please take their time to write as coherent a post as possible for the sake of receiving the best answer quickly. That statement does not force anything or insult anyone, only offers a helpful suggestion. I absolutely do NOT support the lazy mentality of "thats just how they are so let them be". There is always a properly respectful way to get a point across and that is what I would like to see more of because it is lacking. At least then, no new members can deny the suggestion wasnt available and we all have a point of reference

I personally look at a new members location before I comment. If theyre not in a primarily English speaking country then they deserve some leniency. Basic English & punctuation is not at all difficult so I will not excuse non-exceptions for lazily written posts and neither should anyone else. Hell, we have plenty of foreign members who outright apologize for improper English yet they still try.

If this site is offering a free service and is also trying to encourage friendship & comradery, then it should properly encourage that from the start and not simply imply it when there are not enough people who have the logic to comprehend implication. Its all about proper simple wording. Like I said earlier, I will gladly handle that entire process as doing such things is nothing new for me. I did it professionally. Ill gladly re-write it all myself and pass it along for approval to the proper channels.

New members being "bashed" - If the forum rules do not properly and EFFECTIVELY encourage coherent new member posts then moderators are, in part, to blame. There will always be lazy selfish uneducated new members, but some just need slight encouragement or a simple reminder, which begins with the forum rules being efficient. If someone doesnt follow forum rules, is reminded of them, and begins to argue or get belligerent then they deserve to be "bashed".

Asking to Clarify Comments - This should not be happening in the vast majority of new posts like it currently occurs. There are several of us who already ask this with regularity, sometimes multiple times in the same thread. Again, better rules HELP REDUCE these occurrences.

Deterring New Members - In conclusion, my original point was to improve our rules, the context and summarize the points in order to maximize good posts and minimize those that waste time, become repetitive, upset current members, start arguments, or deter anyone.

I had a relevant situation with the multi-billion dollar company I worked for years ago. They didnt listen to my similar suggestions until it became a huge problem. Out of desperation, they finally listened to my original suggestions from months earlier, which fixed a significant customer deterring problem in a matter of days. This isnt the same type of issue, but the suggestions will only help this site to further improve, even if only incrementally. Continuing to seemingly accept mediocrity will lead to the downfall of this site. If you want good member behavior then set guidelines to encourage it.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you have suggestions for how to write it up, present them. The challenge faced is multifaceted:
-Getting members to find the rules
-Getting members to read the rules (not just click past them)
-Getting members to accept the rules as necessary
-Getting members to retain the rules in memory
-Getting members to implement the actions associated with the rules

Without having a member come to the site, be forced to read several paragraphs on posting etiquette, and write a paragraph or two demonstrating their new knowledge, half of these cannot be guaranteed across the board (from what I can see). If you can think of a way to write out rules that achieve this purpose, I honestly would like to see it, because it could be a great solution.

Also, I sent a message to Justin about the two previously mentioned features. We'll see if it's something we can implement.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have suggestions for how to write it up, present them. The challenge faced is multifaceted:
-Getting members to find the rules
-Getting members to read the rules (not just click past them)
-Getting members to accept the rules as necessary
-Getting members to retain the rules in memory
-Getting members to implement the actions associated with the rules

Without having a member come to the site, be forced to read several paragraphs on posting etiquette, and write a paragraph or two demonstrating their new knowledge, half of these cannot be guaranteed across the board (from what I can see). If you can think of a way to write out rules that achieve this purpose, I honestly would like to see it, because it could be a great solution.
Like I said, we cannot force members to do anything, only better organize info to increase the chances of them being aware of the rules and improving how certain rules are enforced. If I get the OK to try it then I'll put in the time to write up a sample page. Between my ideas and that of the moderators & seasoned members, I'm confident we can improve these issues. Even if we collectively dont figure it out on the first attempt, at least we'll be on the right track.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I can't speak for the other moderators, but I see no reason why you couldn't try if it's something you don't mind doing. I can't guarantee we'll put it into action, but if it seems like it would work, I see no reason why we wouldn't.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The exact moment that I am typing this there are 31 registered members on. Of that 31, 24 of them are on through tapatalk. That's what...almost 80% (77, I think...it's been a long day). Last time I looked it was over 90%.

Just because one doesn't like or agree with Tapatalk, it's obvious how relevant it actually is in respect to the current behavior of forum goers.

Those numbers aren't even close to accounting for how many people out of the 509 guest on right now are here through tapatalk. It doesn't show that all it shows is that they are browsing/lurking.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The exact moment that I am typing this there are 31 registered members on. Of that 31, 24 of them are on through tapatalk. That's what...almost 80% (77, I think...it's been a long day). Last time I looked it was over 90%.

Just because one doesn't like or agree with Tapatalk, it's obvious how relevant it actually is in respect to the current behavior of forum goers.

Those numbers aren't even close to accounting for how many people out of the 509 guest on right now are here through tapatalk. It doesn't show that all it shows is that they are browsing/lurking.
This is the crappy reality. I've made a number of suggestions in the mod forum, only to be shut down by this statistic. So many of the things we could do to increase site activity or improve site efficiency are shut down by the popularity of tapatalk and its inability to handle nifty features. :(

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I couldn't help but think of this thread when I read this on HT

"Is my accord out of luck its got the cables moved from inside the bracket that mounts behind the cross member is this repairable its from a sport car salvaged 96 Honda Accord yanked from shifter box location while still bracketed."

Something tells me, if the tech questions had some sort of format or template it could somehow channel this blabbering into something feasible.

I swear to god when I read that all I hear is Scooby Doo trying to sound like a cammed LSx

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes. It would be really nice, but deleting posts or punishing brand new members for inadvertent mistakes absolutely leads to attrition. First impressions matter. A template could be put somewhere. There's no problem there. However, we can't punish when it isn't followed. Beyond that, there's no guarantee that anyone will read it (in my experience, nobody reads anything they don't have to / want to read).