Looking to beef up my LX

Hectacious

Last October, I purchased a 2013 4dr LX. At first, all I wanted was cosmetic work, considering all I was looking for was an economical car after I sold my 2012 mazdaspeed3 and became a proud poppa. But after riding in my cousin's SI's, I found myself missing that extra bit of power. I'm not looking to add incredible horsepower, but I just want the feel of a little added power. It's a single cam and I've heard turbos do the trick. I've also heard intakes, exhaust, and headers would be all I need. What would you guys recommend? Links and sources would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Links and sources, you are on your own as most people here aren't going to give handouts unless you have already done your due diligence in searching first.

As far as intake, header, and exhaust; it won't be noticeable enough for the amount of money spent. Bolt ons don't do anything worth the money on a single cam. It's been discussed in very high detail and amount.

Only bang for your buck is to sell it for one that is NOT built for economy, swap in a bigger motor (not very cost effective to some), put a turbo or supercharger on it (also not very cost effective for some), or throw in a nitrous oxide kit (not as common anymore for very good reason).

That being said, your only option right now with it still being under warranty (I am guessing it is because why the hell would you buy a '13 not in warranty still) is to wait the warranty out or blow money on the intake, header, and exhaust and be happy with the new sound it will give you. Forced induction and nitrous are likely to destroy the warranty. Hell the IHE might as well depending on what the warranty says. Some won't let you touch anything motor related or risk losing a claim when something happens.

andrewthesith

Darth "The Si" Vader
Hondata Flashpro is the best place to start.. but in all honesty, if you want an economical vehicle, why waste the time, money, and energy on it?

you're better off using the extra money to buy a little project. you'll never be satisfied with the pathetic little motors in the base Civics. more bang for your buck buying a 90s hatch with a B swap.

Hectacious

Links and sources, you are on your own as most people here aren't going to give handouts unless you have already done your due diligence in searching first.

As far as intake, header, and exhaust; it won't be noticeable enough for the amount of money spent. Bolt ons don't do anything worth the money on a single cam. It's been discussed in very high detail and amount.

Only bang for your buck is to sell it for one that is NOT built for economy, swap in a bigger motor (not very cost effective to some), put a turbo or supercharger on it (also not very cost effective for some), or throw in a nitrous oxide kit (not as common anymore for very good reason).

That being said, your only option right now with it still being under warranty (I am guessing it is because why the hell would you buy a '13 not in warranty still) is to wait the warranty out or blow money on the intake, header, and exhaust and be happy with the new sound it will give you. Forced induction and nitrous are likely to destroy the warranty. Hell the IHE might as well depending on what the warranty says. Some won't let you touch anything motor related or risk losing a claim when something happens.
I've done a bit of research on my own and everything usually links to intakes and exhaust; the norm. I'm not in a desperate situation for HP, but the thought was tempting. However, I agree with you about the warranty. It always make me second guess. Making it pretty is about all I focused on from the start anyway. I'm sure there's someone else in my shoes :???:

Hondata Flashpro is the best place to start.. but in all honesty, if you want an economical vehicle, why waste the time, money, and energy on it?

you're better off using the extra money to buy a little project. you'll never be satisfied with the pathetic little motors in the base Civics. more bang for your buck buying a 90s hatch with a B swap.
My cousin's SI, the one I mentioned in my first post, has the Flashpro, along with other bells and whistles. It definitely made a difference. Riding in his car is the reason I even thought of looking at engine mods lol. But again, I'm comparing apples to oranges. I get it. Like I said, I'm not in a desperate need for added HP, but a little extra would satisfy my craving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forcedintoit

Last October, I purchased a 2013 4dr LX. At first, all I wanted was cosmetic work, considering all I was looking for was an economical car after I sold my 2012 mazdaspeed3 and became a proud poppa. But after riding in my cousin's SI's, I found myself missing that extra bit of power. I'm not looking to add incredible horsepower, but I just want the feel of a little added power. It's a single cam and I've heard turbos do the trick. I've also heard intakes, exhaust, and headers would be all I need. What would you guys recommend? Links and sources would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
im going to disagree to some point with the gentleman lethal reply that said you wouldnt notice any power with the exhaust i mentioned.. First of all he said he didnt want nothing crazy anyway so why go all out with an engine swap. I guarantee you start with the air flow,, Skunk cat-bak mega power exhaust ,, add a good cold air intake maybe $70 , if your not in an emmissions state ,take that converter off and decan it,put it back on a a decent header which i agree 4 into 1 , i agree you wont gain much with the intake, add those other 3 items and you will feel a noticeable difference . maybe 5 or 10 with cold air intake, but combined with the exhaust set up id bank on a good easy 35-40 hp.. all in all should run around $800 for all parts

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
, i agree you wont gain much with the intake, add those other 3 items and you will feel a noticeable difference . maybe 5 or 10 with cold air intake, but combined with the exhaust set up id bank on a good easy 35-40 hp.. all in all should run around $800 for all parts
I'd like to see a dyno sheet proving that claimed "35-40" hp gain with those above mentioned mods.
I also dispute the cost as you'll have well over a grand IF you buy quality brand parts.
Regardless, you're not going to pull that much power from those mods, deleting the cat converter on a daily driver is ridiculous as well.

Forcedintoit

For one i sure wouldnt spend the money to have it dyno `d just to see how much H.P. that alone produced. As far as well over a grand for quality parts // hmmm ,i thought Skunk 2 racing exhaust was good parts (3" pipe) runs around $600 for cat-bak system, Spectre 3"cold air intake cost $100. X-Force Headers run me $300 .. ok..i was off 200... Certainly not well over a grand. and as far as decanning the converter in a non=emmissions state being ridiculous... put the other exhaust items on then constipate the airflow with a very small opening in the converter,that would be the thing to do.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For one i sure wouldnt spend the money to have it dyno `d just to see how much H.P. that alone produced.
I'm certainly not going to go by someone's lofty, unsubstantiated and unproven claim of 35-40 hp with those parts added either.

Spectre 3"cold air intake cost $100. X-Force Headers run me $300
as far as decanning the converter in a non=emmissions state being ridiculous...
Unneeded, garbage intake, and the header mentioned isn't any better quality wise than the generic ones you find on ebay.
As for the cat converter, you're fuel economy will suffer, which when you're dealing with a daily street driven Civic, should be considered.