4th Gen. Fuel pump removal

Elwhastrummer

Has anybody considered cutting into the trunk floor, to access the fuel pump without dropping the tank? Is there something in the way, that I'm not aware of? I have 2 cars, '90 EX 4dr., and a '90 3dr. hatchback. Call me lazy, but not looking forward to draining gas, pulling lines/hoses, dealing with rusty straps, etc. Doesn't look like there's anything in the way....

Elwhastrummer

I'm presently studying the position of the fuel pump, and when I successfully make a hatch, I will share my info on the forum to help anyone who has a 4th gen Civic, and doesn't want to remove their gas tank to replace the fuel pump. And I'll be using a safe method to cut the hatch. In the mean time, if anybody else on the forum has good, safe ideas, I'd surely appreciate them.

hihippie

Has anybody considered cutting into the trunk floor, to access the fuel pump without dropping the tank? Is there something in the way, that I'm not aware of? I have 2 cars, '90 EX 4dr., and a '90 3dr. hatchback. Call me lazy, but not looking forward to draining gas, pulling lines/hoses, dealing with rusty straps, etc. Doesn't look like there's anything in the way....
I owned a '91 hatch for 13 years and dropped the tank several times. I now own a '90 and spent many hours underneath these cars in salvage yards investigating how to cut a hole in the floor. Several facts killed the idea - the pump has to be angled in due to the bottom pickup screen making for a larger-than-pump hole, the tank straps hold the tank up against the floor with only thin pieces of rubber in between which means the tank has to be dropped to clear the cutting tools, the fuel in and out lines to be disconnected are alongside the tank on the driver's side, requiring a very very large hole to access or dropping the tank. I'm about to drop the tank and put a new pump in the '90 - but this is a pretty simple job due to my experience and having access to a lift for $25/hr. I'm not planning on cutting a hole in the floor since I'm 77 and the new pump should last for 100,000 miles.

Elwhastrummer

I owned a '91 hatch for 13 years and dropped the tank several times. I now own a '90 and spent many hours underneath these cars in salvage yards investigating how to cut a hole in the floor. Several facts killed the idea - the pump has to be angled in due to the bottom pickup screen making for a larger-than-pump hole, the tank straps hold the tank up against the floor with only thin pieces of rubber in between which means the tank has to be dropped to clear the cutting tools, the fuel in and out lines to be disconnected are alongside the tank on the driver's side, requiring a very very large hole to access or dropping the tank. I'm about to drop the tank and put a new pump in the '90 - but this is a pretty simple job due to my experience and having access to a lift for $25/hr. I'm not planning on cutting a hole in the floor since I'm 77 and the new pump should last for 100,000 miles.
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. I have since done some research, and also consulted with a friend who replaced his fuel pump recently. He stated the fuel lines connecting to the top of the pump would have to be removed, before the pump could be lifted out. So, cutting an access hole wouldn't help. No short cuts...I'll have to crawl under my car now. Wishing I was younger! HaHa