Can the type R be made less hideous?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm in the market for a new car and having a terrible time trying to find a car I like. I love the styling of the BRZ/86 but the performance is lackluster. Several other cars I'm examining (e.g., BMWs) are not reliable enough for me / have crazy repair costs. The Type R's performance for the price is...dreamy, but the styling is hyper aggressive to the point where I would be embarrassed to drive it to work.

So, we often do body mods to make a car look more aggressive. How about body mods to tone down a car's aggressiveness? Has anybody seen any "clean" mods for the Type R? I'm wondering if a full body kit and hood could turn this wily teenager of a car into a respectable gentleman.

Seriously, though - any luck identifying ways to make this car look acceptable for professional settings?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here's a pic of the Type-R without a wing. Not sure what else you could really do to tone it down though.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Make sure you buy 2, theres alot of ugly to cut off..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you need to turn a car you wish to purchase into something else by installing a body kit, it may be wise to keep shopping. ;)
That's the issue - nothing fits my needs right now. The Type R would be perfect if it wasn't so damn ugly. :(

Here's a pic of the Type-R without a wing. Not sure what else you could really do to tone it down though.
Yea, I'm wondering if I could replace front/back bumper and hood to something a little less....angular.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd maybe go wingless and put on some 18"s.

Other than reliability, low cost to maintain and adult styling, what are you looking for in a new car?

edit: The 2.0T Accord might be worth a look, although the styling from the back could also use some help :lol:

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's the issue - nothing fits my needs right now. The Type R would be perfect if it wasn't so damn ugly. :(

Yea, I'm wondering if I could replace front/back bumper and hood to something a little less....angular.
My biggest issue with the Type-R is the weird way the fender flares out around the wheel but gets flat when it meets the back doors.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Has anybody seen any "clean" mods for the Type R? I'm wondering if a full body kit and hood could turn this wily teenager of a car into a respectable gentleman.
Look at the newer Accords, they're one of the best Honda has to offer now.
Still maintains respectable body lines and doesn't have the hideous, boy racer double tier digital cluster that the Civic has.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd maybe go wingless and put on some 18"s.

Other than reliability, low cost to maintain and adult styling, what are you looking for in a new car?

edit: The 2.0T Accord might be worth a look, although the styling from the back could also use some help :lol:
Reliability/Low maintenance (one in the same, in my opinion), semi-adult styling (hell, I'm happy with something a bit sporty - just not THAT sporty), and ~250hp. The BRZ/86 ticks ALMOST all the boxes, but is just a bit too slow for me.

The Accord feels like it's trying to look like an American car.

I'd even consider the BMW 2 series, but it was also beaten with the ugly stick, recently.

I think I'm getting too old for the modern styling. I much prefer the cars from 5-10 years ago! lol. This is ultimately a personal problem. I'm considering holding out until some new cars are announced, but the civic is 15 years old now, and is lacking AC in the Florida heat. I'm not sure if we have the stamina... :lol:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Reliability/Low maintenance (one in the same, in my opinion), semi-adult styling (hell, I'm happy with something a bit sporty - just not THAT sporty), and ~250hp. The BRZ/86 ticks ALMOST all the boxes, but is just a bit too slow for me.

The Accord feels like it's trying to look like an American car.

I'd even consider the BMW 2 series, but it was also beaten with the ugly stick, recently.

I think I'm getting too old for the modern styling. I much prefer the cars from 5-10 years ago! lol. This is ultimately a personal problem. I'm considering holding out until some new cars are announced, but the civic is 15 years old now, and is lacking AC in the Florida heat. I'm not sure if we have the stamina... :lol:

I'm thinking S2000 with a Kraftwerks SC kit. Have LHT Performance in St. Petersburg slap it on.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm thinking S2000 with a Kraftwerks SC kit. Have LHT Performance in St. Petersburg slap it on.

I'm not so sure that a 9+ year old car meets the reliability requirement.... :P

I did just discover the Kia Stinger, though. That might just do it. Never really considered Kia, but the price, warranty, and power seem about right, and I'm not hating on the looks too much, either. I'll need to give it a test drive. I really wanted a Type R, but they really made it look terrible.

It's weird that it's outside most teenage budgets, yet it looks like it should be driven by a 16 year old. Seems like a bad marketing decision. I almost feel like they should have targeted the 20/30 somethings that are going for their second Honda, but want something a bit beefier. I wonder how the sales are doing in the US.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd rather drive a Kia than a Focus :lol:

I've never been a fan of VWs. I like the WRX, but I'll get some really strange looks at work, for sure. Image is a sucky thing, but I need to portray a certain level of professionalism in my job, including through my vehicle. There are times when I need to drive around potential job candidates, Deans, etc. I wish it wasn't that way, but my career depends on how I present myself. Driving a WRX to pick up a "higher up" would be akin to wearing shorts and a t-shirt to an interview, in my world.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd rather drive a Kia than a Focus :lol:

I've never been a fan of VWs. I like the WRX, but I'll get some really strange looks at work, for sure. Image is a sucky thing, but I need to portray a certain level of professionalism in my job, including through my vehicle. There are times when I need to drive around potential job candidates, Deans, etc. I wish it wasn't that way, but my career depends on how I present myself. Driving a WRX to pick up a "higher up" would be akin to wearing shorts and a t-shirt to an interview, in my world.
I think to non "car people" a civic is the same thing as a wrx :lol:

The lapis blue and dark gray colors would be my personal picks on a new WRX.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think to non "car people" a civic is the same thing as a wrx :lol:

The lapis blue and dark gray colors would be my personal picks on a new WRX.
Definitely to some! :lol:

I think some at least see a civic as an economical choice, but the WRX is a 16 year old's toy car in the eyes of others - right up there with a loud kitted civic :lol:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The non touring Type R that's they plan on bringing out is without the big wing I believe. The front and rear bumper is hinted to be different too. Maybe wait for that. I was either going to wait for that or the new Supra, but I decided to go widebody on the FRS and build that more instead.

Civicom

The SI is pretty nice and gives you best of both worlds. They don't make them look cool like the classic integras civic si hatchback used to look like. A lot of these cars look like they are coming out of a video game. The worst part about new so is the vents are fake. Go figure... I often find myself looking at old celicas, integras...they just ran forever. They were pretty fun back in the day the Focus has had too many issues. You know we pay big bucks for these almost track ready cars off of the dealership floor. I just could never soend that kind of money on a car that will never spend one day doing mild track work 1 to 2x per month. The best way to get to a fast car cheap is to buy an older Z28. Best bang for the buck in hp.