misfire

hondalove405

I have some misfiring issues, I have cleaned and replaced spark plugs plus wires, would cam shaft sensor or crank shaft positioning sensor be the cause, problem and fix? when hooked up to the diagnostics it pulls codes: PO136, PO137, PO157, PO300, PO301 and PO302
any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated fellas, thanks

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you looked up the codes?
That's literally the point of the codes, they should tell you where to start troubleshooting.

hondalove405

Have you looked up the codes?
That's literally the point of the codes, they should tell you where to start troubleshooting.
yes I have, cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 2 misfire, multiple random misfire and oxygen sensor, I have replaced the spark plugs, used some fuel treatment and replaced the fuel filter this morning. it still pulls up multiple random misfire and oxygen sensor now. it runs slightly better but still lags from its original state. still misfires but not as bad and as much if that makes sense.. I sprayed the wires, boots, distributor and the manifold gasket area with water once at temp to see if it was from one of those sources but it all looked good.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would do a mild tuneup, NGK plug wires, a Honda cap and rotor and replace the O2 sensor.

What trim model of Civic is this?

hondalove405

I would do a mild tuneup, NGK plug wires, a Honda cap and rotor and replace the O2 sensor.

What trim model of Civic is this?[/,QUOTE]
its a 99 civic ex coupe d16y8.. its got some things done to it, engine wise- timing belt, water pump and tensioner, boots wires, distributor all have been replaced around 14k miles on them. plugs this morning.. got rid of all but the 2 codes and they only pull up on my scan gauge that's hooked up into my dash.. once I replaced the fuel filter and the plugs the engine light has gone off (so far) been round 10 miles in it today but like I said can pull it through my scanner.. weird as all get out man.. getting baffled.. I plan on doing a complete rebuild come the next few months so not really wanting to get into the injectors right this moment.. but will if a must I suppose

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boots wires, distributor all have been replaced around 14k miles on them. plugs this morning.. got rid of all but the 2 codes and they only pull up on my scan gauge that's hooked up into my dash.. once I replaced the fuel filter and the plugs the engine light has gone off (so far) been round 10 miles in it today
What are "boots wires"?
What type of plugs and wires are on it? Is the distributor Honda, are the plugs and wires NGK? This type of stuff, I would only go with Honda and NGK.
Have you replaced the O2 sensor, since again, that is one of the codes that comes up.

The CEL may come back on if all you have put on it is 10 miles, it needs more than that for the system to reset. If there is a problem, the light will come back on.

hondalove405

What are "boots wires"?
What type of plugs and wires are on it? Is the distributor Honda, are the plugs and wires NGK? This type of stuff, I would only go with Honda and NGK.
Have you replaced the O2 sensor, since again, that is one of the codes that comes up.

The CEL may come back on if all you have put on it is 10 miles, it needs more than that for the system to reset. If there is a problem, the light will come back on.
the o2 sensor will foul out almost immediately after replacing if I did, my exhaust is 2.5" dumped before the rear.. the spark plugs are ngk and just orielly oem wires..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would replace the O2 sensor, distributor cap and rotor with a Honda one, and shell out the money for either Honda or NGK plug wires, then go from there.
My guess, the CEL will come back after you put some miles on it, less than 50 or so, if there is an issue.