Jerking steering wheel

Joshphoto

I have a 95 DX Hatchback. A couple days ago I was driving in the city when my steering wheel just started to make these quick little jerks. It would pull, then release. The longer I drove, the harder the pulls got. I don't have power steering, everything as basic as it gets, but when turning off the road into a parking lot, it felt like a car with power steering that had just lost all power. I've driven it a few times since, trying to figure out the issue. I can drive it for 15 minutes or so before it starts up. This is the one thing that is consistent. The pulls seem to be in both direction, or maybe I'm tripping, but mostly to the right. The brakes feel fine and there is NO noise coming from the brakes. This afternoon I'm going to pull the front tires off and check the brakes out. What do you think would cause this issue only after the car has been driven for 15 minutes or so? Please help

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the pulling in time with wheel rotation?

Maybe something is pushing on the steering rack.. Definitely take some pictures while you have the wheel off.

Joshphoto

Is the pulling in time with wheel rotation?

Maybe something is pushing on the steering rack.. Definitely take some pictures while you have the wheel off.
It is pulling in time with wheel rotation, I believe..? Only because it slows down as the car slows down. The pull also seems to get much stronger as the car slows. I think there's probably some scientific equation to explain that though. I pulled both tires off yesterday, flipped the calipers up and checked the brake pads, everything looked fine. I then went home and watched videos about how the steering components work because I really had no idea. I've never worked on it before. This afternoon, I'm going to get under there again and check the tie rods and rack

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does it change at all when you apply the brakes? Or just when the car slows down?

Joshphoto

One thing I might add is that we recently had a bunch of snow and I was having to plow through some deep stuff for a couple days...