Hard to move shifter (automatic transmission) on 1998 Honda Civic LX

SuzieQ

My son replaced the timing belt, and ever since it has been getting progressively harder to move the shifter (AT). I don't know if it is a coincidence or if something could have gotten bent. I read somewhere that you have to be careful not to bend the pivot, but haven't been able to find any diagrams showing that yet. I was going to purchase a shift cable and replace it, but didn't want to if it might be the pivot being bent. Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated!

SuzieQ

My son replaced the timing belt, and ever since it has been getting progressively harder to move the shifter (AT). I don't know if it is a coincidence or if something could have gotten bent. I read somewhere that you have to be careful not to bend the pivot, but haven't been able to find any diagrams showing that yet. I was going to purchase a shift cable and replace it, but didn't want to if it might be the pivot being bent. Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated!
Wow! It seems that all people do is look at these things and not respond!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My son replaced the timing belt, and ever since it has been getting progressively harder to move the shifter (AT).
Changing the timing belt should have nothing to do with the transmission.

Wow! It seems that all people do is look at these things and not respond!

Wow it seems that you can't continue to search for yourself but you also need to be more specific on what the car is or isn't doing.

What do you mean it is hard to shift.
The gearing, shift hard of the actual shift lever is hard to move?
Harder to move between any specific gears, happen no matter what gear you shift it into?
Does it get better as the car warms up?

Initial thoughts, when was the trans fluid checked and changed?
The shift lock solenoid could be going.
Or the shift cable/rod has been bent inadvertently.

SuzieQ

Changing the timing belt should have nothing to do with the transmission.

Ok...sorry I messed up. My son did change the timing belt, but that was a while ago. It was actually the Rack & Pinion (don't laugh if I spelled that wrong...I did my best!). I'm not the mechanic in the home, but I am the one that uses the computer.

My husband said that whether or not the car is warmed up or not does not seem to effect how hard the shift lever is to move. And some days it seems worse than others. He also said he doesn't feel it's any particular gear that harder to move from than another, but I TOTALLY disagree and I drive the car about 10 times as often as he does. It is VERY difficult to change from Park to drive and to Park from drive. Switching from drive to neutral to reverse all seems pretty normal to me. The transmission fluid is changed regularly and was just changed recently.

BTW...thanks for responding. It is very much appreciated!

Wow it seems that you can't continue to search for yourself but you also need to be more specific on what the car is or isn't doing.

What do you mean it is hard to shift.
The gearing, shift hard of the actual shift lever is hard to move?
Harder to move between any specific gears, happen no matter what gear you shift it into?
Does it get better as the car warms up?

Initial thoughts, when was the trans fluid checked and changed?
The shift lock solenoid could be going.
Or the shift cable/rod has been bent inadvertently.

SuzieQ

We can't quite figure out why, but the shifter is moving fine now. My husband did an oil change and looked at the cable while under there. He said there were humps or bumps from within the cable (like maybe there's corrosion in there) and both ends are corroded, so it sounds like it's only a matter of time probably. He said that it looks a bit complicated to replace the cable.