Replacement door handles all different for 1996 Civic LX?

adadada

All,

I have a 1996 Honda Civic LX sedan that is showing its age and the front right exterior and interior door handles have stopped working. They won't open the door when pulled.

I took off to the door panel and found that the handle assembly had snapped off a plastic mounting for one of the mounting mechanisms. So I'm looking to order a replacement.

However, when I go online and search by my VIN number, I see that all of the replacement door handles are of a different style than my original one. On my original car, the door handles lever out and to the side ... whereas all the replacement door handles lever out and up.

I was wondering why this might be? Is this a better design? Did someone decide that the original design was inadequate?

More importantly, will these new designs work in my 1996 car? It looks like their profile is different.

I've attached some photos of the handle I'm looking to replace and my car in general (please be gentle, I'm a horrible car owner).

Thanks in advance for any responses,
adadada

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
However, when I go online and search by my VIN number, I see that all of the replacement door handles are of a different style than my original one. On my original car, the door handles lever out and to the side ... whereas all the replacement door handles lever out and up.
I'm going to guess that you have the year of your car wrong.
Based on the side molding, the shape of the exterior door handle and the seats in your car, you have a 92-95 Civic sedan, it is NOT a '96 model.

I'm also going to guess your car looks like this....

Attachments

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
Yeah, like Mr.Baker said, your handles are from an "eg" civic. The 5th generation. Fun fact, the sedans can use rear door handles in the front as well. I have seen people use rear door handles on the front so they can "shave" their door lock holes. I wouldn't recommend it however, because then you can't lock/unlock your doors from the outside.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fun fact, the sedans can use rear door handles in the front as well. I have seen people use rear door handles on the front so they can "shave" their door lock holes. I wouldn't recommend it however, because then you can't lock/unlock your doors from the outside.
Usually it's done because they have power door locks, so they can still unlock it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Right. I was meaning in the unfortunate situation of a dead battery, you might be locked out of your car.
Usually, if the owner was smart enough, they installed a hidden, manual door pop in case that happened, to unlock at least one door.