What to do with my 1 owner 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

snouts

I have 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Manual - I purchased it new in 1991- it has over 260,000 miles, no rust, no damage to the body, new paint, new suspension, a/c was rebuilt (works great) and new radiator. My mechanic told me today I have a blown head gasket. The engine was rebuilt in 2000 when it had 145,000. I can not fix the car myself so a mechanic will need to do it. What do I do - 1. fix the head gasket 2. rebuild the rebuilt engine 3. replace engine with a used motor 4. replace with a new motor (don't know if this is an option) - 4. get rid of it. - or any other options out there

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you say it was "rebuilt" 20 yrs ago, what does that exactly mean?

If it were me, I'd rebuild the motor, and slap it back in the car.

snouts

When you say it was "rebuilt" 20 yrs ago, what does that exactly mean?

If it were me, I'd rebuild the motor, and slap it back in the car.
The motor was rebuilt in 2000 so I had heard it’s usually not good to rebuild it again???

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The motor was rebuilt in 2000 so I had heard it’s usually not good to rebuild it again???
OK, but that's not what I asked...
You "heard" it's not good to rebuild a motor again, why, but then why offer that as an option if you're against it already?
Without actually knowing what was done to "rebuild" it 20 years ago, it's hard knowing what you want to do with it if you already have this concept that it shouldn't be "rebuilt" again.

Find another d series motor, strip that down and rebuild it from the bare head and bottom end up.

snouts

OK, but that's not what I asked...
You "heard" it's not good to rebuild a motor again, why, but then why offer that as an option if you're against it already?
Without actually knowing what was done to "rebuild" it 20 years ago, it's hard knowing what you want to do with it if you already have this concept that it shouldn't be "rebuilt" again.

Find another d series motor, strip that down and rebuild it from the bare head and bottom end up.
Thank you