Broken Trunk Latch

jp2code

Hello Forum Members.

First off, I do not own a Honda Civic. They are cool cars, but I have a truck for pulling stuff.

My girlfriend's son just got one, though. He doesn't have a license yet, the car is not tagged, inspected, or insured. The little Civic is certainly not on the road yet.

He doesn't remember if it is a 2004 or 2006. Does anyone know how I would tell? I hate to sound auto-racist, but they all look alike to me. =)

The key will crank the car, but it will not open the trunk.
  • The key will turn in the trunk lock, but it does not turn all the way. It feels like the latch is jammed inside or bumping up against something that is preventing the inner latch from turning all the way.
  • The lever inside by the driver's seat can open the fuel door when pushed down but does not open the trunk when pulled up. Turning the key lock for the lever will prevent the lever from going up, but not prevent it from going down.
  • The back seats inside the car appear to only drop down after pulling a couple of latches from INSIDE the truck, so we can't get the back seats down.
So, how can we get the trunk open? Again, I don't know exactly what year this car is. I would guess that the trunk-latching-mechanism didn't change too much between 2004 and 2006, but I could be wrong.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He doesn't remember if it is a 2004 or 2006. Does anyone know how I would tell?
You could google images of both cars, figure out what matches his car?
The 2006 will the bigger issue since the seats only fold down when the trunk is accessed.

Once you figure it out, then go from there with how to open the trunk since '04's and '06's are two different generations of car.
Insert key into the key slot on the rear deck, turn one way or the other to release whichever seat. Pull seat down to fold the applicable side of the 60/40 seat.
From the trunk, locate the black plastic pull tab/t-handle. There's one for each part of the 60/40 split seat. Pull which ever one you want to fold down, then push on the seat to fold it down

open trunk
find lever (top left)
pull lever
push back seats

jp2code

The key will turn in the trunk lock, but it does not turn all the way. It feels like the latch is jammed inside or bumping up against something that is preventing the inner latch from turning all the way.
Insert key into the key slot on the rear deck, turn one way or the other to release whichever seat. Pull seat down to fold the applicable side of the 60/40 seat.
But that is the problem. The key does not open the trunk. How do I get the trunk open???

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But that is the problem. The key does not open the trunk. How do I get the trunk open???
Unbolt the backseat, should be enough space to stick your arm between the seats to find the latch for the trunk.
You may have to pull the latch while someone pushes down and pulls up on the trunk lid.