Fuel gauge and coolant temp gauge not working after cluster swap

Sami_

I know this has been asked before but my case is somewhat peculiar, I did the usual ex cluster swap into ek for the tachometer, its plug and play. First thing i noticed was temp sensor didn't move and stayed below the bottom which was no big deal, when I took the cluster out again to replace a bulb and put it back the car's fuel gauge shot up to the top and just stayed there. I dont think its the sender unit because both worked on the first cluster but I'm wondering how both gauges just stopped working out of the blue. Also, would I be able to temporarily swap in my fuel gauge from my old cluster and just not have a temp gauge for now?
Thanks in advance, I never expected something so simple to give me so much trouble.

Attachments

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be a short in the cluster you are swapping in. My suggestion is to swap back your original cluster. Check the ex cluster by finding what pin on the plug is power and ground and making sure they are not shared between the fuel and temp guage. Once you verify that it will most likely lead you to the problem

Sami_

Could be a short in the cluster you are swapping in. My suggestion is to swap back your original cluster. Check the ex cluster by finding what pin on the plug is power and ground and making sure they are not shared between the fuel and temp gauges. Once you verify that it will most likely lead you to the problem
So I swapped back my original cluster and noticed how the left gauge on the original (temp) worked! But the right gauge (fuel) didn't move, so whatever the problem is, its with the right gauge itself. I am sort of stuck from here though.